• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cribsie

cribsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hello all, I was wondering if I could ask a question please. I'm researching my family history and have found out my grandfather was born at 1 Apsley Road, South Norwood in 1909. Could anyone tell me the exact location of the house lookng down Apsley Road from Portland Road, is it left or right on that junction or is it at the other end of the road? Also, does anyone know if 1 Apsley Road had a shop on the site 100 years ago? Any info would be much appreciated, many thanks.

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hello, Cribsie. I don't know the area, but I Google-mapped it and, using the street view option, you can see the house behind some trees - the number 3 on the door of the house next to it locates it as being on the corner on the left, I believe.

#3 cribsie

cribsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello Gill, many thanks for reply. much appreciated.

#4 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Do you have a copy of the 1911 census for this address. If not I may be able to help.
Looking at street view on google I notice a new building looks as though it is No 1.

#5 cribsie

cribsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hello Joe, many thanks for the offer. According to the 1911 census the family had moved to Birchanger Road which, looking at Google maps, is very close to Apsley Road. I have found an amazing photo on eBay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6b445375 which was taken in 1908 and is almost opposite my grandfathers place of birth. It looks to be the same building where a fish bar now is. There are several people posing in the photo so I'm guessing some would have known my great-grandparents or may even be family members!