• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tomchance

tomchance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hello I'm another new member, I recently moved to Versailles Rd with my wife from East Dulwich to escape high rents and buy a flat.

Aside from the litter and the fast traffic down Anerley Hill/Rd we really like the area, and we have a distant family connection in that my ancestors manufactured the glass for the Crystal Palace.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi Tom,

And a big welcome to the area and to VN :)

I lived in ED for a year in 1982 and couldn't believe the changes in the place when I went back a few years ago. At the time it was a cheap place to rent as a student nurse but I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a rabbit hutch there now! This is a great area though and I hope you'll both be very happy here.

SL

#3 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Welcome to the area! Lucky you, being so close to Crystal Palace Park. Do you also know about South Norwood Lakes round the corner from you? And if you carry on down Anerley Road and on past the new Lidl/Aldi(?) that's being built, you will find South Norwood Country Park, just past the cemetery.

#4 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hey Tom,

We're not far from you on Maberley rd (I wonder if you're in the rather nice 1st floor flat we looked at on Versailles rd when we were first house hunting in the area in 2002), and yes, you're in a prime spot for parks. The litter factor on Anerley Rd has been creeping up a bit of late, but it's still a very decent part of the world to live in.

I'm intrigued about the Crystal Palace glass connection; I've heard mention that, if you dig down a foot or so just by where the palace itself used to stand, you sometimes find lumps of glass that melted during the fire. I don't know if that's a local myth though!
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#5 tomchance

tomchance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

bawheid, we've not yet explored the other parks but we're keen to.

nikdevlin, I'll have to get out my spade! There's not a lot of recognition of the company in producing the glass, even though it was a pretty spectacular industrial achievement to produce that much sheet glass in short a space of time. They actually had to bring over a bunch of glass workers from France and Belgium to help complete the order. Back then the French were still the pre-eminent global glass manufacturers, but Chance Bros and Pilkington took the crown by the end of the century. I intend to take some info down to the museum at some point for their consideration. You can find a bit online, e.g. these two pictures and this article from a paper local to the glassworks in Smethwick. I don't think much is documented about their role, if any, in moving it down this way so I hope to do some research when we have finished with all the renovations etc.

#6 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Chance Brothers? I'm pretty sure I had a box of microscope slides made by them when i was a kid; sadly now long gone. A white box, quite 50s and retro looking, with blue and black text on it, it was passed on to me by an auntie...

#7 tomchance

tomchance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Lovely!

#8 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Welcome to the area Tom. I looked at buying a flat in the newbuild development on Versailles Road a while back. It's a nice quiet street but close to everything.

#9 threips

threips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hello future community! We're moving to the area in October and hope to get the lowdown, the scoop and the inside word from right here. Still struggling to find posts about a decent pub/bar/restaurant within stumbling distance (West Snorewood) but there seems to be a need so hopefully it won't be long. We'll be living on Bloom Grove. If you know of any decent ones nearby please let me know - The one by Tulse Hill station seems to be popular here.

see you all soon perhaps.

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi threips,

And welcome to VN! :) There are a fair few posts about W. Norwood but we could do with more, so looking forward to seeing more of your posts on here.

SL

#11 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I *heart* the one by Tulse Hill station, it does a good range of decent ales (Wandle, Doom Bar and Timothy Taylor among them), not served ice cold, it does good, none-poncey pub grub, and they have some great music nights...