• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

There's a blank tree growing space in the pavement outside my house (must have been removed for being damaged or rotten) but it seems a shame to let it remain as scrubland. I took a fork to it yesterday and I've removed the old tree stump and now have a good patch of loose earth to plant something in... But what??

Anyone got any ideas on what I could plant there that's low maintenance and won't get me in trouble with the local council? Lavender? Shrub? Tree? Flowers?

:rolleyes:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#2 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

My sister planted some poppy seeds in a gurilla gardening erm garden in Leicester this year. They looked lovely. But I guess whatever you like. It's your guerilla garden! How likely are the council to mow down anything you plant?

I would suggest something fast growing and pretty.

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Seed bomb? http://www.guerrilla...gseedbombs.html

#4 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Anyone got any ideas on what I could plant there that's low maintenance and won't get me in trouble with the local council?

Marijuana?

#5 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Marijuana?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#6 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

There's a blank tree growing space in the pavement outside my house (must have been removed for being damaged or rotten) but it seems a shame to let it remain as scrubland. I took a fork to it yesterday and I've removed the old tree stump and now have a good patch of loose earth to plant something in... But what??

Anyone got any ideas on what I could plant there that's low maintenance and won't get me in trouble with the local council? Lavender? Shrub? Tree? Flowers?

:rolleyes:

There won't be enough heat for Hermit's inspired suggestion.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Vinca_major would be my default option, you could also dig in some daffodil bulbs around it.

PS it wouldn't do any harm to contact the council, as most will generally replace trees - assuming you want one!

Edited by andreas, 25 August 2012 - 08:59 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

There won't be enough heat for Hermit's inspired suggestion.

So weed doesn't grow well here? The best in the US grows in an area with not so different a climate - Humboldt County (see under 'Agriculture')

#8 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

I'll defer to you on Humboldt County but I've never heard of anyone successfully cultivating marijuana outdoors in the UK... happy to be proved wrong though - perhaps Elmo should experiment on our behalf?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#9 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Or this could be a good fundraiser for the top of CP Park? Sustainable green growing, and all that.

#10 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

The problem with guerilla gardening is that the council will have some contractor working for them keeping green spaces weed free, mowed etc. If you're little patch is NOT on their register, you can plant the prettiest rose bush and by the next time the contractor comes a long and has WEED KILL on his list he will just decimate the whole thing in seconds. These guys are thick as .... well something VERY thick.... :unsure:
The trouble we had in Westow Park when we planted wild flowers or wanted to change the mowing pattern was insane. Took us years and we sometimes felt like Greenpeace whale campaigner throwing us in front of the blue bells when the big lawn mower was heading towards us, regardless of plant or human life... And this was WITH the support of the council, so without it it would have been impossible to even plant a daisy in the park.
BUT the council might be happy to help if somebody offers to pay for something so if you just talk to their green spaces guy and tell them about your problem they might just say go ahead. They are so broke, they might be happy if you buy a tree or bush and promise to take care of it yourself. Always worth trying. They might change the weeding pattern and take YOUR patch of the list.

God luck and post a photo :P
mp

#11 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi, Elmo - I just remembered this, from when I first became a Bromley Council Street Friend (this is from their 2009 newsletter) - might be worth giving them a ring to see if the scheme is still in operation?

Five varieties of mini-daffodil are
available for our Street Friends to
add a touch of spring gaiety to
their roads.
Planted around the base of trees, they’ll provide
pleasure for many years with little or no
maintenance. To add extra interest, they can be
mixed with Siberia Scilla, a contrasting, delicate
flower in Prussian blue.
If you’d like a supply of bulbs to plant near your
street trees, please call the Customer Contact
Centre on 020 8313 4557. The bulbs come in
packs of 20, but as there are limited supplies we’ll
deliver them on a first-come first-served basis.

If you're required to become a Street Friend (not at all onerous and you have a bit more clout when it comes to getting things done!), details and an application form are here: http://www.bromley.g...ds_publications

Edited by GillW, 27 August 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#12 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi, Elmo - I just remembered this, from when I first became a Bromley Council Street Friend (this is from their 2009 newsletter) - might be worth giving them a ring to see if the scheme is still in operation?

Five varieties of mini-daffodil are
available for our Street Friends to
add a touch of spring gaiety to
their roads.
Planted around the base of trees, they’ll provide
pleasure for many years with little or no
maintenance. To add extra interest, they can be
mixed with Siberia Scilla, a contrasting, delicate
flower in Prussian blue.
If you’d like a supply of bulbs to plant near your
street trees, please call the Customer Contact
Centre on 020 8313 4557. The bulbs come in
packs of 20, but as there are limited supplies we’ll
deliver them on a first-come first-served basis.

If you're required to become a Street Friend (not at all onerous and you have a bit more clout when it comes to getting things done!), details and an application form are here: http://www.bromley.g...ds_publications

I'm a Street Friend too and applied for some of these but they never arrived (unlike my big snow shovel, which did!). I have found that Bromley council is pretty good at replacing trees, though, if you ask.
Round the corner from us is a small pavement tree that someone has put a little bit of edging round and then planted with flowering plants. Nobody has ever destroyed it.

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Ah, Nick, it's you! I was trying to remember who my fellow SF was! Where are you in CP? And are you interested in supporting Cllr Papworth in banging the drum for any of the three shopping parade regeneration schemes: Church Road and Anerley Road (Station and Town Hall ends)? We've made some progress (feedback to come soon) on Anerley Road (Station end). Details here http://www.virtualno...__1#entry129025 (and in separate threads for the other two). Sorry to hijack your thread, Elmo - as you were! :)

Edited by GillW, 28 August 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#14 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Elmo, I do two little pieces of guerrilla gardening in the space underneath two trees in the pavement outside my house and my elderly neighbours. It took me a few attempts to see what worked. In short, initially I tried seeds but the cats and dogs scratched them up when weeing and pooing in there. Then I tried bulbs but the squirrels pinched them. Then I tried cheap mature drought tolerant plants such as marigolds, lobelia and petunias (not exactly flash!) and hey presto they stayed put. I was planting into sand. I placed lots of 30cm sticks around the outside to protect them from the pavement footfall too.The Lambeth street sweepers have been really respectful of the effort I've put into them. Also don't underestimate just how many plants you need to fill a small space and create blocks of colour! Would winter pansies maybe work now. I'm not sure. Good luck. I wish more people would take some pride in their streets and do as you are.

#15 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

Petunias. I used to hate 'em, but I've grown to appreciate their plucky resilience and endlessly cheerful, garish colours. They now signal to me 'we care' in an unpretentious, good hearted way.