• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Mod's Note

This thread is for suggestions and ideas for VN Socials, where VN members (and lurkers! ) can meet and have some fun over a glass or two - grateful for your thoughts.

cont. from a discussion about the Grape & Grain pub:

.....every vn social for the last 26 years has been held here too.

26 and a HALF years :P Actually, it's just been easier to hold it there for the last few times as:
a ) people prefer Fridays for the socials and the GG is big enough to accommodate a social on a Friday - some other places get v busy;
b ) it's easy to get to, we get a bigger turn out in CP as opposed to S or W Norwood;
c ) Rick is very accommodating and Angela usually provides some lovely grub gratis :)

Edited by Summit Lover, 04 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#2 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

agree the service in G and G is top notch and the relationship with this place (VN) is enhanced as the proprietror makes an effort to communicate with his potential punters via regular posting as to whats coming up etc - but there does seem to be a bit of a love-in with the place on here which isnt entirely understandable given the choice of potential alternative venues for VN gatherings - but suspect its left to a few to organise and they will home in on a place thats warm and welcoming which Im sure the G n G is

aesthetically it has all the appeal of a dentist waiting room for me though - from the high ceilings - non cosy lighting - elongated shape, naff carpets, wood pannelling and furniture

anyway Thelma- had an enjoyable pint in there the other fri eve -wasnt packed but had atmosphere and felt enjoyable before crossing over to the Tart for a pint of Budvar

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Chewder Ode - please feel free to organise a VN Social wherever you wish :) Happy to have variety.

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

If anyone should get a coating here SL it's me. You are the one who does the organising which gets massive Dorset high sixes from me.

However there are many more venues that have done pretty well. The park, bridge house, white hart etc to name a few. That I've been to anyway

And also your beloved Numidie. Where I met my lover Dazza. We've been happy ever after since 2008

#5 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

I am planning to come to the next one - Hermie sent me a personal invite to the last - but I couldnt make it - am not really a curmudgeonly ol git in real life! honest guv - well not that much

and cheers for offering to take the flak SLR!

yeah - it easy to be negative from the sidelines and fairplay to those who have made the effort to organise it in the past - A VN gathering in the same place is better than none at all but there is life out there in the CP universe Jim - but not as we know it

maybe as we're on the Alma thread here they might spark up on here and offer something?

planet earth to Alma, planet earth to Alma - do you read me, over

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Careful now SLR !

Come on Chewie whats not to like abou the Alma , Inflated beer prices, bitter served up in Jugs & burgers served with dry bread rolls !

Dazza

PS If this place got into the good beer guide I would cancel my CAMRA membership !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I am planning to come to the next one - Hermie sent me a personal invite to the last - but I couldnt make it - am not really a curmudgeonly ol git in real life! honest guv - well not that much

and cheers for offering to take the flak SLR!

yeah - it easy to be negative from the sidelines and fairplay to those who have made the effort to organise it in the past - A VN gathering in the same place is better than none at all but there is life out there in the CP universe Jim - but not as we know it

maybe as we're on the Alma thread here they might spark up on here and offer something?

planet earth to Alma, planet earth to Alma - do you read me, over

It is a fine balance trying to find a suitable venue for a VN Social - as people tend to prefer Fridays it adds an extra problem as some venues get quite packed/noisy which isn't always conducive to providing a welcoming environment, especially for newbies. I love Numidie bar but it can get very packed on a Friday in such a small place - coupled with the fact that they have had a tendency recently to allow open-mike events at ear splitting volume and frequently poor quality at weekends :(

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

How about the Colby then outside Gipsy Hill station spacious & cheap beer £2.85 all day & even sell lager 2.50 before 7pm I understand.

The new guvnor Les seems a nice guy although he got me very drunk on my 1st visit in 12 years to this establishment.

I even signed up to their reg email with new bitters coming up & you also get a free pint on yur birthday as mine is coming though I would give it a go.

Sharps & sambrookes ales on sale at present which is fine by me !

But anywhere drinkable booze is fine by me !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi all. I just wanted to offer a bit of history on VN socials (having been attending them from the start) and add my support to what SL is saying. When the socials started, the emphasis was on spreading the business round the triangle so we went to a different venue each time. This worked as the socials were normally on week days so venues were much quieter. Events were deliberately spread over different days of the week to account for people's various commitments.

With the change of VN ownership and the addition of a new, much-appreciated event organiser (Summit Lover), events moved to Fridays and proved very popular. However, that meant that the list of feasible venues was reduced. As others have said, many pubs/bars are very busy and noisy on a Friday so places such as the White Hart, Alma and Numidie are completely ruled out. It's also difficult to book a space in a busy pub when you have no idea how many people are going to show. Sometimes we have 10 people, other times we've had 30.

A couple of ideas for spreading out to other venues are:
  • have some socials on other days of the week so we can visit other venues
  • have the odd VN meal - this has been done before e.g. we went to Lorenzos for VN's 10th birthday and had Sunday lunch at the Dulwich Wood House (these tend to appeal more to longstanding members so not suitable every time)
  • identify other venues that have the space to accommodate large groups on a Friday but are happy whether we are a party of 10 or 20 (The Park in West Norwood was a success and the owner very helpful; the Bridge House was a successful as we were given an area and the event attracted some extra people from Penge who don't often come to socials)
I think it's a good point in time to have this discussion. We've had many successful events at the G&G and I think we should continue to use it. However, I agree it would be good to introduce other places again. I like the beer and service in the G&G but do agree with ChewderOde's review of the decor!

Look forward to seeing people's suggestions...
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'll gladly hand the baton over to someone else - take it away guys! :)