86 replies to this topic

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Funny how you wanted nostagia then visit the black sheep ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Why? Because of one pub?! I spent the first 21 years of my life in SN... I've done my time.

Actually I sounded pretty churlish there, sorry. Whereabouts do you live now Sidders?

#33 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Technically in Sydders. I'm about 2 mins away from CP Park just off CP Park Road. My increasingly infrequent jaunts to CP involve either a none too unpleasant 20 walk through the park or a 4 minute hop on the 227. I'm quite happy where I am, everything's within easy walking distance except a real pub I can call a local (and by local I mean 5 mins staggering distance).
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#34 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Technically in Sydders. I'm about 2 mins away from CP Park just off CP Park Road. My increasingly infrequent jaunts to CP involve either a none too unpleasant 20 walk through the park or a 4 minute hop on the 227. I'm quite happy where I am, everything's within easy walking distance except a real pub I can call a local (and by local I mean 5 mins staggering distance).

Ah - CPP Road. I lived just off there too for a while (Sydenham Avenue) until I got fed up of slogging up the hill and relocated to Church Rd. And my now favourite boozer (G&G) is 5 mins staggering distance :P

Mind you.... will we be able to tempt you up the hill to the next VN Social?

Edited by Summit Lover, 05 September 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#35 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Funny how you wanted nostagia then visit the black sheep ?

Dazza

I wanted friendliness and chat. I got none in the other pubs, and the black sheep gave it in spades!

Interestingly, the more I read about the G&G, the more I wish I'd stuck around. I know it's easy to argue that maybe I'd insulted them, but I'd only been there 5 seconds, and wasn't impressed with what I saw. First impressions were far from good (I got a better reception everywhere else) before watching the musician set up and play the sort of music that makes you cringe on X-factor. It really was terrible, and from what everyone else is saying, would have got a lot better.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#36 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Real boozers left in the area G & G , Railway bell ( standard pub of the year 1981 still looks pretty much the same) & The colby

Anything else is just a boutique pub or theme pub as far as I am concerned.

Dazza

#37 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I was in the Alma the other night, as I usually do the tour de palace weekly (or in last weeks case a lot more), but two pints of beer cost £8.05 which is pretty ridiculous and expensive. Why is the Alma have to be so expensive, I may stop going there soon as this is the reason that I have never been into the Cocksparrow due to the ridiculous prices charged for a pint!

#38 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Real boozers left in the area G & G , Railway bell ( standard pub of the year 1981 still looks pretty much the same) & The colby

Dazza

Long live 'boutique pubs"..... and a smattering of old man pubs for the diehards! :D

I was in the Alma the other night, as I usually do the tour de palace weekly (or in last weeks case a lot more), but two pints of beer cost £8.05 which is pretty ridiculous and expensive. Why is the Alma have to be so expensive, I may stop going there soon as this is the reason that I have never been into the Cocksparrow due to the ridiculous prices charged for a pint!

I love the new Alma but have to agree the prices are steep. We still go there but wouldn't tend to spend the entire evening for that very reason. The Sparra is pretty reasonable in the price and range of wine so it gets my vote!

#39 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

The Colby which I have just rediscovered serve various good quality alea all at £2.85 serverd by a guvnor who know how to look after the stuff some pubs spend more time lighting tea candles than looking after their beer !

Dazza

#40 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

But tea lights are so twinkly and cosy!

#41 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Tea lights are a fire risk and should be banned - along with gastro pubs , pints costing more than £3 , herds of foreign students holding up the tills at Sainsburys/walking whilst shouting loudly along the pavement/blocking the pavements/forza Italia stickers and graffiti , moan moan grumble grumble drink feck !

#42 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

At last, someone who sees my point. Boutique pubs are for Chelsea, not SE19.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#43 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

One of the reasons gastro pubs exist is this:- 99% of restaurants don't do decent beer. Joannas on the Triangle is one of the very few eateries around that doesn't have just three rubbish beers on its menu; in most places they're crap Italian or Dutch import lagers, they're all served break-your-teeth cold, and they're all basically pints of fizzy p1ss. A damn good pint of good English ale, served at room temperature, is a very good accompaniment to a nice dinner, so I will go back to Joannas and indeed the Sparra again and again and again...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#44 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

There is no place on the planet for boutique pubs its wrong on so many levels just like crime in multi storey car parks !

Dazza

#45 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

At last, someone who sees my point. Boutique pubs are for Chelsea, not SE19.

Unfortunately for you SE19 disagrees!

There is no place on the planet for boutique pubs its wrong on so many levels just like crime in multi storey car parks !

Dazza

Eh? Have you been drinking? Bizarre comparison :)

I am convinced you and RickH were separated at the birth by the way....