• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmm, offal. I had tripe the other day in Rome; my God it was gorgeous, braised in a tomatoey basily cheesey sauce. Really really really nice.

Sadly, my missus doesn't like offal, so I only really eat it when she's off on a work trip, or in restaurants.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#77 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Calf's brain - I just can't get my head around it.

I looked up gribiche sauce and it's sieved hard-boiled eggs, pickles, capers and mustard all mulched up... maybe it takes your mind off your brain....

#78 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

calfs brain is an old delicacy at home too. Not my bag but lots of people love it. It was probably more popular before 'mad cow disease' first appeared....
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#79 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Calf brain?? Now if any eateries can get round to serving roast eyebones and breast bones with fried swede and cabbage and boiled spuds in their skins they've got a customer for life.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#80 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Oh yes indeed. The more offal the better. That's one of the things I love about going to Rome; last time it was brains and sweetbreads, this time it was tripe, kidneys and oxtail...

#81 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Watch out nikd, the local ghastro pubs will be using your signature for inspiration - 'Dark, dreary and spattered with whale meat'

#82 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hahahahaha!

#83 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Dark, dreary and spattered with whale meat

Sounds like Uncle Wilf's ex...
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#84 TheAlmaCP

TheAlmaCP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I was in the Alma the other night, as I usually do the tour de palace weekly (or in last weeks case a lot more), but two pints of beer cost £8.05 which is pretty ridiculous and expensive. Why is the Alma have to be so expensive, I may stop going there soon as this is the reason that I have never been into the Cocksparrow due to the ridiculous prices charged for a pint!

Hi Andy,

Glad to hear you use the Alma, sorry to hear you understandably don’t like the beer prices. In answer to your question, I've thought hard about it and I’m trying to give as much of a truthful answer as possible. So rather than defend the beer prices I’d rather ask a question. Why can't pubs make money from beer? and I include The Alma in that. Pubs and customers suffer high prices because of the beer escalator and beer ties companies. We make between 39-43% gross profit on beer. Industry standard GP's for a free house is around 60-65% and tied pubs around 45-50%.

To give an example I have to pay £39.60 for a case of basic bottled lager. Everyone knows its not that price in the super market.

The price you paid £8.05 minus vat = £6.71 minus the beer cost leaves me with just above £1.30 profit a pint. This doesn’t include any wastage, line cleaning, which we do religiosity every week or paying someone to pour it for you or indeed any other associated costs.

I can’t complain as I signed the lease knowing the beer prices were expensive. We have to sell other items to make money. The “old boozer” that only sell pints and a few bags of crisps is dying because for the tax escalator and tied beer costs from the government and companies like EIPLC, punch, Scottish & Newcastle etc… pubs are being force into having to offer other things to attract people and make money. Lots of pubs cant do this without investing money they simply don’t have and can’t borrow. Banks wouldn’t touch me when I tried to borrow money “we don’t deal in that sector, to much risk” I had to raise the money myself.

Our beer offering washes its face, that’s it. Our beers and ever changing ale range helps attract people to buy other things.

Our wines are more of a personnel preference. Again we make less than industry standard gross profits. I’d prefer to offer a superb wine at a reasonable price than offer a poorer standard of wine and make the same money. I recently found a wine in what some people (not me) have described as a similar pub in C.P from the same supplier. They charged £24 per bottle we charge £18.75 needless to say they don’t sell it anymore.

I have to say pubs very rarely rip off customer. Large companies with massive buying power or brewery owned pubs can offer cheaper prices that make privately own pubs look a little expensive.

I just hope the beer escalator introduce by the last government is stopped so pubs and customers can enjoy a great pint at a reasonable price. Pubs are and should always be at the heart of the community but beer tax at 2% above the rate of inflation will soon out price everyone. They say the £6 pint is only 2 years away!

Beer Tax

Beer duty has risen 42% in the last three years. Enough is enough and CAMRA is campaigning for a long term freeze in beer duty.
Successive above inflation increases in beer duty and the VAT rise to 20% has hit pub goers hard. On average, you now pay over £1 in beer duty and VAT for every single pint you buy in the pub (see the table below).
The UK now has the second highest duty on beer in the European Union. Unless we can change Government plans UK beer duty will soon be the highest in Europe.
The tax on a pint of 5% beer in the pub Price of a Pint Excise Duty VAT Total Tax % Tax Take £2.50 55.40p 41.67p 97.07p 38.8% £3.00 55.40p 50p 105.4p 35.1% £3.50 55.40p 58.33p 113.73p 32.4%

#85 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Alright 'The AlmaCP'

Thanks for your response, and I have now seen that typically a lot of money for a pint goes in tax/duty, which has increased quite a lot in the last few years. Quite a long time ago I do remember being very annoyed when the price of a pint went over £2, and I did try going to cheaper pubs, but that didnt last too long as they where not as good as my local, which was the Rose and Crown back then!

But i like the Alma, the beer is always good, all the bar staff are very friendly, and one day i will eventually treat myself to one of those amazing looking burgers!

#86 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Try the colby great select of bitter for £2.85 cheapest around
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#87 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Ah, le bon vieux temps! Me, I remember the summer and blue sky of early childhood --- the barrage balloon sometimes magically up, sometimes not --who knew? The cheerful sound of the sirens, hiding under the stairs, and asking when would the war be over? The searchlights raking the skies, the merry noise of the ack-ack! The P.O.Ws who came to clear away the barbed wire, whom we played with, and one of whom put me on his back, and said, as he moved to a part of CPP I had never been to -about 20 yards - ''I carry you beck to Shermany!'', which I imagined must be there; the day two of them, who probably thought of their own children seeing us, blond as we were, felt emboldened to come up the gate from the Park, to say to my mother -after 6 yeaars of misery and afflictions: ''Ve demand coffee!'' My Mum was not disposed to understand their lack of English, and they would have been safer on the Eastern front!

Oh, yes, the good old, bad old,days!

Growing to-wards manhood, that is, fifteen as I was 6' though no barman could have believed I was old enough, one could get served, provided one followed the precise mantra of the boy in front@ ''Bitter please!'' ''Bitter please!'' etc, with voices becoming progressively more squeaky. It tasted disgusting, of course, but -- we were men! We could relish the saw-dust, and how we bemoaned the becarpeting of everywhere. In our youthful way, we would cry: 'O tempora, O mores!''

Yes, the good old days... beer in the predecessor of the Sportsman 9d a pint.

Edited by Abu Nuwas, 21 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.