• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 graboluk

graboluk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

This is my first post here, so hello everyone! :-).

I'm looking for people to play basketball with (indoors or outdoors, preferably latter), or information if someone has seen recently any outdoor games going on somewhere.

I personally know of two outdoor basketball grounds. One is next to the gipsy hill train station. I have never seen anyone using it, and there's actually a sign that it's only for minors. The second one is next to the south norwood lake (neighbouring tennis courts.) I've been there only twice, I haven't seen a person, and it's of poor quality.

#2 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Have you seen these guys: London Tower
I stumbled over them looking for a junior basket ball class for my daughter.

#3 graboluk

graboluk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Have you seen these guys: London Tower

The webpage http://www.london-towers.co.uk/ is for sale, according to wikipedia they don't exist anymore. Also, I'm not looking to join a professional team, I would like to play a friendly game every now and then.

#4 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

As the resident VN basketball nut, I can shed a little light. Towers folded years ago after Costi (Greek millionaire) pulled the funding... Sad to see them go, but it's hard to make professional basketball work in the UK. Milton Keynes Lions will be playing at CPNSC for a season though before heading to the Olympic Park. Good luck to them. http://www.londonlionsbasketball.com

There aren't any local outdoor "runs" locally, you'll have to try your luck around Streatham, Brixton, Peckham way - and let's face it the weather is generally terrible for outdoor ball in the UK. Brighton Beach is always worth a try if you're on a day out though.

Indoors tend to be associated with clubs in local leagues to be honest, but you could ask a couple of local sports centres if they have any casual sessions, or general pick up games (try Harris Academy too). Local teams include: Bromley Men, Lewisham Thunder, Streatham Sonics. There was a team being run out of Alleyne's school in Dulwich too. Give them a go.

Good luck...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#5 graboluk

graboluk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

There aren't any local outdoor "runs" locally, you'll have to try your luck around Streatham, Brixton, Peckham way - and let's face it the weather is generally terrible for outdoor ball in the UK. Brighton Beach is always worth a try if you're on a day out though.

Could you please recommend a specific court with a fair chance of a pick-up game going on on a saturday evening (I guess this is the best time, I'd try it out tomorrow)? Streatham, Brixton, Peckham are all fine with me.

As to the weather, it's as good or as bad as in Europe, at least from my limited experience here. Right now we've had weeks of great basketball weather in London. I'd say it's more lack of facilities (caused in turn by lack of interest probably.) For example the fact that there's no outdoor court at CP National Sports Centre is bemusing.

#6 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sorry. If there are any that way I don't know about them, I'm a basketball official and have always been more into the indoor version... you can try St Mary's in Croydon - they have some kind of pick up game

Follow me on Twitter

#7 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Sorry. If there are any that way I don't know about them, I'm a basketball official and have always been more into the indoor version... you can try St Mary's in Croydon - they have some kind of pick up game

Follow me on Twitter

#8 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I would have thought a thank you would have been nice. Maybe I'm old school but a considered and helpful reply by elmo deserved more. Even though it's for the most boring sport on the planet!

#9 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

New board member SLR. Don't scare him off please... especially as he's a basketball fan!

Follow me on Twitter

#10 graboluk

graboluk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the effort Elmo :-). For the future generations searching this thread (although why should they, I'm sure instead they would be more inclined to join something less boring, say polo or cricket, or tiddlywinks), I found this: http://www.facebook....attersea.London, twice a week; 5pounds per session, connection from CP is very reasonable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sport, basketball