#1 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Any advice for a newbie?

Will 16GB be enough for everyday use?

I was going to get the WiFi only version, because I am on The One Plan with 3 mobile that allows tethering.

What's the difference between iPad2 and New iPad? Why haven't they called it iPad3?

Thanks mes amis!
Love The Triangle...

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

No No No No No No No No No No NO!

Android is the way! :D

#3 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

My missus has the iPad 2 with 32gb and full access through 3, and she loves it. With 3, you can get a quite decent sized data package (can't remember what the size of it is, but it equates to about 20,000 net pages per month) for between £5 and £10 per month, though there's so much free wifi around these days, she sometimes goes nearly 2 months before needing to top up; obviously it hooks up to our wifi at home and in her office. She does a lot of work while commuting on it, using iCloud through 3 for online data access - very smooth, very easy to use - plus also watches films on it. Sadly, I can't think of any reason to buy one myself; I have a Macbook at home, an iPhone in my pocket (yep, I watch TV boxed sets on it while commuting) and a top of the line Dell at work...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

I had the iPad 2 and now have the New iPad. The new one has a retina display, which is nice but not essential. I'd go for the 32GB as its surprising how quickly apps eat away at your capacity as you add more and more. If you want to store any films (iPlayer started offering downloads last week so you can store for 30 days) they will take up a fair bit of room. Likewise, music, although I use my iPhone for that.

The going rate for a second hand iPad 2, 32GB, wifi only is £280-ish. If you aren't bothered for the retina display, I'd be tempted to save your pennies and get the last gen one.

I have wifi only and it's fine. I can tether if I want but I don't think it's that fast. If you really want to surf on the move, I'd consider getting a 3G version or at least research the tethering experience of others on your phone network to see how fast it is. My partner has a 3G iPad and swears by it. I'm happy to use my iPhone to surf on the train and use my iPad to read the paper (I subscribe to the Guardian Newsstand edition) and read books through the Kindle app. That's my main use for it on the train. 3G would be nice, especially when I travel for work but I don't really want to pay again for web access on a different device. The day that you can get a deal that covers your wifi access across all your devices and both inside and outside of the home will be a very happy one for me.

Cheaper options are the Android Nexus and Amazon Fire, which is finally coming to the UK. Both are entry-level devices but good for the price. The screens are smaller though so it depends on your needs. Apple are tipped to announce an iPad Mini next month so if you want something cheaper and smaller, you could wait and check that out. Also, Microsoft has the new Surface tablet, but there won't be many apps to begin with. If you are a fan of Windows applications like Office though, it could be a good option.

So many options, but if you could tell us some more about your proposed uses, we can probably advise further. I'd be interested to know whether you propose to use it mostly at home or on the move. Also, is it a laptop replacement or will you have both? Do you want to game, watch video, surf/email/Facebook, do work stuff - presentations, reports?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

... The day that you can get a deal that covers your wifi access across all your devices and both inside and outside of the home will be a very happy one for me....

I kind of get that with my 3 mifi. I use it for accessing wifi at home and when on the move, although it wouldn't be powerful enough for gaming I wouldn't have thought. The plus for me was being able to get rid of the expense of a landline :)

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Yes, sadly it wouldn't meet my needs. I do a fair bit of video and games streaming so need high speed broadband I'm afraid.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Attached File  424696_454817031224803_529118281_n.jpg   25.69KB   0 downloads

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Very good, but maybe it should just say 'mug'. If I was buying for a kid, they'd be getting a Kindle Fire or a Nexus. The iPad is a premium product - fine if it's for the whole family but I wouldn't buy one just for a child.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Joshua Topolsky has done a comprehensive review of the Kindle Fire HD for anyone interested in this device.
Mel, Forum Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPad