Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

And delivery...?! :)

#17 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

who is he? where do I find these pizzas? It's quite easy to make one at home if you have the 'OO' flour with with a bit of semolina. the only thing is you need a very powerful oven to get the crust done nicely. I like the base as thin as an Italian pizza, so it's quite tricky to roll it that thin.
You can make a big lump of dough and stick it in the freezer and take chunks of if whenever you want a pizza. 1kg of flour makes about 8 family-sized delicious pizzas. It must be lunchtime!

#18 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

who is he? where do I find these pizzas?

You already know him! he owns Mediterranea :)

It's quite easy to make one at home ...

Tried it once. Catastrophe :blink:

#19 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I've been baking an awful lot of bread lately; plain white bread, sour dough, focaccia, naan, chapatis etc etc. Next up, pizza...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

I make pizza dough sometimes at home. I find it hard to get it quite as thin as required (I also like really thin bases) but generally it's pretty decent. The advantage is you get to choose the quality of your ingredients. I agree that cheap mozzarella is all too prevalent - you can't beat buffalo mozzarella. If you like gorgonzola on your pizza, Pizza Fresco does a good one with pear and rocket. The base is very thin and they deliver of course.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

You already know him! he owns Mediterranea :)

Tried it once. Catastrophe :blink:

Jamie Oliver's pizza dough recipe is the key :D

#22 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

well, me and my friends tried the delivery service from Il Grillo yesterday - ordered 3 pizzas and a salad - it was at my house within record time!

brilliant!
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#23 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

We had two pizzas from Il Grillo last night and they were lovely! Just the right size, and proper authentic Italian pizza. We shall be using them again!

#24 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm yet to see anyone in this place. Every time I drive past it is just the staff sitting there.

#25 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Perhaps you've not driven past at key pizza-eating times, Hermy - I was in there the other night and there was a couple eating inside, another couple drinking coffee outside and a bloke waiting, like we were, for his takeaway pizza (a speedy 8 minutes) :)

#26 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Wow. Il Grillo has had a fab new makeover! The counter and pizza oven has moved, the cakes and petit fours have disappeared out back and the little place that, just last week a little hard round the edges, with its metal furniture, now has a warm and cosy ambience. It's packed with around eight wooden tables for two, each very tastefully decorated with a red night light and a vase of fresh red and pink flowers. Really impressed (especially as there's not a woman in sight)! The smell of garlic (homemade) focaccia wafted up the road towards the station, luring me in. Elea, the owner, told me he makes all his own pasta and gnocchi and corrected my pricing error earlier in the thread - a basic 12in Margarita pizza starts at a bargainous £4.40. It's BYO and corkage is just £1. :)

#27 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

Wow - this sounds like a winner on the way home from work. Pick up a bottle at the station in town, roll off the train at CP and have a piping hot pizza in no time flat.

#28 GillyMS

GillyMS

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Googled it and the reviews are excellent! I often walk past on my way home from CP station, and thought it was just a new cafe... will have to pay a visit very soon.

#29 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nyom! Just had the 12" Il Grillo Special. £9.90 for a superb base, all thin and crispy and tasty, with 3 different cheeses, toms, rocket and parma; hot and fresh and tasty, the best pizza I've had since Rome. From order to delivery was less than 15 minutes - OK, so we're less than half a mile from Il Grillo, but that's still pretty damn good.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#30 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Walked past yesterday on my way home from work and the guy was looking a little forlorn as the place was empty. It looks great and we'll definitely try it but we are a bit pizza'd out after our trip to the US!
Mel, Forum Moderator