• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Nyom! Just had the 12" Il Grillo Special. £9.90 for a superb base, all thin and crispy and tasty, with 3 different cheeses, toms, rocket and parma; hot and fresh and tasty, the best pizza I've had since Rome. From order to delivery was less than 15 minutes - OK, so we're less than half a mile from Il Grillo, but that's still pretty damn good.

You people are really building up my expectations... I hope they live up to the hype... does that 9.90 include delivery?

#32 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, even though it says 'free delivery with orders over £10' on the menu.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#33 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ooh, am delighted you approve, Nik! That really is praise indeed. I had their home-made gnocchi last night - bought it plain to cook at home, where I added butter, fresh sage, salt and pepper. £4!

The telephone number for delivery orders is: 020 8778 5439

Edited by GillW, 07 November 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#34 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Didn't know they sold plain gnocchi. Do they do the same with pasta? I'd definitely be interested in buying the basic ingredients to make my own dish at home.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#35 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, when I rang them they made a point of telling me they're doing pasta now too, though neither that nor gnocchi is on the delivery menu. Mind you, I do know a certain website that has recipes for both...

#36 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Didn't know they sold plain gnocchi. Do they do the same with pasta? I'd definitely be interested in buying the basic ingredients to make my own dish at home.

They seem open to persuasion on most things!

#37 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Great, I'll make a point to stop by then later this week and pick some up. Loving the website plug :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#38 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Talking of which, if you look at Il Grillo's Facebook page, they have listed their location as Upper Nanwood :lol:

#39 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, when I rang them they made a point of telling me they're doing pasta now too, though neither that nor gnocchi is on the delivery menu. Mind you, I do know a certain website that has recipes for both...

Gnocchis are very easy and cheap to make at home.

#40 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Greatly enjoyed a simple, delicious and reasonably priced pasta lunch at Il Grillo today.

The people there are charming, and you can take your own wine. The coffee is excellent too.

Highly recommended.

O. Oswald (Mrs)

#41 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Brilliant meal there on Thursday. Gekko will post a fuller review but glad to report it was excellent re service, price and quality. Could become a regular thing - good wholesome v v reasonable food with bottle bought in M&S before I get on the train - no Tesco please!! And delighted it was a full house when we left.

#42 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

We finally ate at Il Grillo on Thursday evening. We went straight from the train, my partner (chrissyb) picking up a bottle of wine from M&S at London Bridge.

We got a friendly welcome from the owners and they were lovely when I spilt a glass of wine over one of the cushions :(. I wasn't drunk btw, just clumsy!

We had the Antipasti Misti to start, which was a selection of meats, cheeses and olives. The meats were delicious and there was a lovely cheese soft cheese. The other cheese was sliced and a bit bland though. We were also brought bread, grissini and olives. The bread was great and drizzled with olive oil. The olives were tasty, better than the ones on the antipasti plate actually. For mains, I had Tortelloni with lobster, which came with langoustines. It was very tasty - the langoustines were cooked to perfection and the pasta homemade and el dente. Chrissyb had Ravioli with pumpkin and goat's cheese and said it was 'yummy - it tasted creamy, like having a poached egg in pasta'. Both these dishes were from the Specials' Menu. After that, we didn't have room for dessert so just had coffee - an espresso and an americano. My americano was slightly watery but the espresso was great.

By the time, we got to the coffees, the restaurant was completely full. There were a few Italian friends of the owners and one family but mostly people who'd come from work and picked up a bottle on the way.

I'd definitely recommend this place. It's perfect for those nights when you don't want to cook. The pizzas looked huge so make sure you are ravenous before you go! Also, they don't accept cards at present, so make sure you take cash.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#43 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yay! So pleased it's flourishing. :)

#44 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ate there tonight, nice guys serving lovely food in a pleasant little place. A big plate of rigatoni with sliced cabanos and broccoli in a lovely creamy cheesey sauce for me, a big everything-on-it pizza for Mrs Me (enough to eat only half and take the other half home for breakfast), and an amazingly good tiramisu, light as a feather, yet stuffed with lovely cream and really rather boozey. £19 in all. Nyom.

#45 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Double yay :)