Photo

Junior schools in the Gipsy Hill /Crystal Palace area.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 14dec

14dec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

My partner and I are expecting our first baby soon and are looking to move to South East London but our main priority is moving to an area with good state schools (we can't afford private!). Dulwich looks like a good option, however I really like the Gipsy Hill / Crystal Palace areas and see you can definitely get more for your money around there but just not sure about schools.

Like I said, first baby so this is all very new to me! I know reading OFCOM reports is probably the best place to start but I'd prefer to hear from parents who have had first-hand experience of the schools - would you consider them to be good? Are there many options? How easy is it to get a place? Which would you consider to be the best and why?

We love the area, just want to make sure it's the right choice for our little one in the future.

Any advise or tips would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks x

Whoops. I meant OFSTED obviously and not OFCOM! :-)

#2 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

If you move in the area you will be very likely to look for a place in the Gipsy Hill Federation. These are three local primary schools. One right of Gipsy Hill (Paxton School), one at the bottom of Gipsy Hill (Kingswood School) and one towards West Norwood (Elmwood School). These are all VERY good schools. Kingswood being the biggest and Paxton the smallest (it is a one form entry school, which means there is only one class per year). Teaching quality is high, Ofsted is outstanding. Paxton is obviously the most intimate school where everybody knows everybody as it's so small. It is therefor also very difficult to get in and you need to live within a very close range of the school.
Depending on where you will live, Rockmount School might also be in your proximity. It had difficulties in the past, but seems great now. I know a lot of parents there and they all seem happy.
Good luck!

#3 duncanb79

duncanb79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

And, if you want to buy a house very near two of the schools mentioned above, please see my Hamilton Road thread in the For Sale forum.

Or have a look at www.arrantland.com

Good luck