• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

I was reading around and saw mention of a legend that there are plague pits in or around Long Meadow, Gipsy Hill. Have there ever been any excavations to anyone's knowledge? Sounds quite interesting, if not a little morbid.

#2 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

I know my father always used to tell me that the field at the very bottom of Gipsy Hill (if that's the Long Meadow?) was a plague pit. I remember about 20 years ago being shocked to see building work going on there, but I notice now there's still nothing there, so I presume the building work was halted for that same reason. Can anyone give more info, or is it just chinese whispers and speculation?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Exactly what I was told when I first came to the area - never found out if it was true or not so am interested too.

#4 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm trying to remember if it's mentioned in the Phoenix Suburb. It's the sort of thing that was. I might have to read it again to find out.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#5 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Know the story which which I understand its just a myth , there are lot of other london open green spaces that have the same story.

Basically london is just one big burial site & if you excavated any large area in central london you are likely to find some sort of remains .

Cant remember the church now but its outside the Oval, 20 years + ago there used to have gravestones in the green space the stones were then moved to the side of the church & now,they have markets there , people also use space for sunbathing ! Some of these graves were less than a 100 years. !
Now thats morbid !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#6 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I've been. Told its not the main field but the small triangle next to it by Dulwich wood ave

#7 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I've been. Told its not the main field but the small triangle next to it by Dulwich wood ave

Would be great if someone could at least do a geo-phys examination of the plot, then we could put the myth to bed once and for all... maybe worth getting on to Time Team!