Suggestions Improvements

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm wondering whether all this pseudonym posting is a bit old-fashioned. CP Local (on Facebook) is attracting lots of posts with people under their real names. Trouble is that there is no structure there. Any chance of getting the best of both worlds?

andreas
aka Andrew Parfitt

PS Sorry - I thought I was posting in "Forum Help" but now see I'm in primary schools - didn't mean to be, is there some way of moving this... please...

Edited by andreas, 20 September 2012 - 09:25 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Please post any ideas and suggestions for VN this thread, but many thanks!

I'm wondering whether all this pseudonym posting is a bit old-fashioned. CP Local (on Facebook) is attracting lots of posts with people under their real names. Trouble is that there is no structure there. Any chance of getting the best of both worlds?

andreas
aka Andrew Parfitt

What would be the actual benefit of people posting under their own names in your opinion Andrew?

Edited by Summit Lover, 21 September 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

I post under my real first name and the initial of my surname (being a novice forum poster when I joined, I didn't have the nous to choose anything more anonymous!), but would be concerned that I'd already given out too much info here - I revealed my age in a post yesterday and regularly refer to the street on which I live, so maybe full names might compromise safety?

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

I also think anonymity is best for the reasons Gill set out. I include my first name (or a shortened version) in my signature but in the past have posted the street I live in and my profession.

I'm very careful about what I post on Facebook groups and my use of Facebook apps. I work in digital media (and have worked professionally with social media since 2001) and have seen first hand how that data can be retrieved and disseminated. I was at a meeting with the CEO of a small digital business the other week. He's building a Facebook app for a very well-known company. As the technology partner of said company, he has access to all the Facebook data from their current app. He's a cool guy and is using all that user profile data to create what will be a great app. But he has access to extensive profile information for many many people. My experience is that most people using social media often have no idea how easy it is to get hold of data, build profiles and use that data for good or ill.

If you are going to post under your real name, make sure you are happy that everything you post is traceable back to you and can be used to build a profile of you - whether it's your politics, where you live, your mental and physical illnesses, your marital status etc. If you aren't comfortable with that, then use a pseudonym.

Edited by gekko, 21 September 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes, we all need to be much more careful with our personal data. If any VNer wants to use their real names, feel free, but I prefer to have a bit of a cloak as I've been the victim of fraud once before and I don't care to repeat the episode.

If you use Facebook, beware which apps have access to your data, and make sure your security levels are up as high as possible. There's a good post here:
http://howto.cnet.co...curity-checkup/

I would advise anyone on VN to remember that everything they post here is entirely public and can be viewed the world over. Mentioning your name, birthday, road, family members etc should be avoided IMHO. But at least people who aren't on facebook have a place to come and talk about our lovely corner of south London :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Great link that Elmo :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

OK - on reflection, one of the sillier ideas of andreas. I suppose I am just conscious that some of us have left so many clues that our pseudonyms on here are far from foolproof. Especially when people post very similar messages on here and on Facebook. Others though remain eminently mysterious and long may that be the case!

Edited by Summit Lover, 23 September 2012 - 11:50 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#8 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

The Tavern's an area for mucking about and light hearted banter but some threads go off on a tangent and start getting a bit heavy. The only other place for a row is in the News & Local Issues forum but shouldn't that be specific to local news and local issues? How about a new forum in the Retreat for more serious discussions/arguments not specific to the local area/local stuff?
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#9 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Facebook ? Whats Facebook ?

#10 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Facebook ? Whats Facebook ?

Precisely.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

The calendar on the sidebar seems to have been completely hijacked for lots of classes. I have nothing against yoga and fitness classes - did decades of that stuff - but I was wondering if we could make the sidebar something more calendar-like, not just a roster for free advertising?

#12 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Seconding the above but also posting with a question: did I overlook a post from MattVN saying the homepage was changing? I can't see half the sections now, eg, Entertainment and Activities, when I click on the Forums tab, making looking for a specific post even more arduous than usual! (Tip for new members: I now type key words into Google instead of VN's own unreliable search function, eg, "website help" + "virtual norwood" to find this thread.)

Edited by GillW, 04 January 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Now that is weird. I've just logged on at work on a Mac and can see the full list of forum areas perfectly, whereas I could only see half of them at home on my PC. Anyone else have this issue?

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Now that is weird. I've just logged on at work on a Mac and can see the full list of forum areas perfectly, whereas I could only see half of them at home on my PC. Anyone else have this issue?

I haven't had a problem with seeing the sections Gill - on android tablet or PC.

#15 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Gill - I sent you a PM but I wonder if it's because you previously collapsed a section. There's a "-" option in the top right corner of each group of forums, clicking it will shrink/collapse the set of forums. You can then click on the "+" to expand it again.

This option is for users to hide forums they may not be interested in.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at