Photo

What type of property is needed most in West Norwood?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 duncanb79

duncanb79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hello gang

I am a developer and I've just acquired a large double-fronted detached house in Casewick Road which is currently arranged as 3 flats. There are a pair of 1 bed flats on the ground floor and a huge 4-5 bed flat on he upper floors, but with no outside space. The format is a bit of a nonsense and needs a serious rethink. There are many options, but a major consideration is to do with what type of accommodation the area is missing. I would appreciate opinions on this.

I imagine a popular answer will include the word 'affordable' and I don't want to be dismissive of that idea but the reality is that the flats will be worth a multiple of their square footage (to a large extent) so affordable will normally mean small.

However, one idea is to create at least one really good family unit (3 beds, private entrance, parking and garden) which could be considerably more 'affordable' than a house.

Its going to be a while before whatever we decide on is ready, but if you know somebody who might be interested in this, let them know or pm me for an email address /phone number. I'd be delighted to cut the estate agents out of a deal and tailor the interior arrangements/finishes for an early buyer.

I also have a pair of 4 bedroom houses on Hamilton Road which will be ready for sale in the spring. Very close to extremely good primary schools (Elm Park, Kingswood), off-street parking, very large kitchen diner with doors to garden, ensuite, solar PVs. I'm really proud of these houses. It has sorted out a site which was a part-demolished eyesore for 12 years and every single neighbour has been supportive of the project and delighted with the result. The houses are 100% authentic Victorian terraced houses from the front, but will be extremely energy efficient with interiors designed for modern living and will come with 10 year warrantees.

These have not been marketed yet and, again, they could be finished to taste and sold directly. Let me know if you want any more details and spread the word. Its not often that a buyer would have the opportunity to choose the interior and landscaping of a 'Victorian' house and it would be great to do this instead of forcing somebody to settle for a developers vision of what they might like.

Amongst other things, a buyer could potentially choose the following...

Kitchen units, worktops and layout
Bathroom fittings, layout and tiling
Flooring
Landscaping design and materials (front and back)
Lighting
Gadgetry
Colours (including external windows)
Etc...

They could be a bit cheaper without an agent too. I have just written up a bit of a spec here...

www.arrantland.com

I'm also going to post these in the For Sale forum, and mods, I'm about to go to the car to retrieve my wallet so I can sponsor the site.

Thanks all.

Duncan

#2 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think three bed maisonette with some outside space would be great. There is an oversupply of one and two bed and we've lost a lot of family size homes over the years. And congrats on being a forward thinking and community minded developer. Obvs you want to make money but good you are thinking about what the community needs too. Good luck!

#3 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

What a mind-boggling post! It sounds like thoroughly responsible development, and your description makes it sound like you are building great quality spaces too. Can we get you involved in more properties in the area?

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

A Prison !

But seriously the commercial side usually dictates what the developer wil do ( Luxury flats in most cases) but hope you do well with your decision to create a proper family property.

The place is flooded with luxury flats so i think it may be a good decision to go against the usual grain if you can get a quick sale !

Good luck duncanb79
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 pwar66

pwar66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Sounds like you could get two nice three bed family homes out of it.

There are lots of schools in the area, St Julians on Leigham Court Rd is being rebuilt to cope with demand even another new site is being opened at the bottom of Wolfington Road.

We currently live in a two bed Maisonette on St Julians Farm Road and are looking to expand to into the loft for another room after having our first kiddie.

#6 duncanb79

duncanb79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. Its nice to be met with goodwill rather than the unshakeable suspicion and cynicism some people have of developers.

Of course commercial considerations are at the top of the agenda. However, its in everybody's interest for developers to provide a product that is in demand.

I think a lot about who will be the likely user for a property and developments alway go best when one has a clear picture of the customer. In Hamilton Road, this is very clear - its all about the great schools and the shortage of good family housing (that isn't incredibly expensive or needing a huge amount of work). I would be staggered if the purchase of both houses wasn't driven by the arrival (or maturing) of children.

In Casewick Road, its a bit more complicated, but any info helps me to build a picture.

Thanks again

Duncan