20 replies to this topic

#1 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hello All,

Just joined so wanted to say hello. Just moved back from the US after a decade and a half and now find myself trying to figure out a neighbourhood to buy in around London.

Don't know much about the South East (I lived in the South West before I left) but budget-wise it's a match and I love the fact the commute to the City is quick.

Any suggestions on a community-heavy 'hood? The place I just left in Los Angeles was a GREAT community and I need that kind of connection with neighbours/local businesses and also will be starting a family soon so want good schools eventually.

Anyway....I'm waffling!!

Cheers in advance! :)

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hi Henry,

Crystal Palace has a great sense of community (IMO) - probably due to the compactness of the triangle and its great pubs/bars/restaurants coupled with the independent shops. I am sure S. and W. Norwood have a good sense of community too, but having never lived there I couldn't say.

#3 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Summit Lover. I was looking at CP but it might be out of my budget. I guess I need to take a wander around the area and then speak to some real estate people.

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well, there are certainly plenty of estate agents in the area to talk to :D.

Welcome to Virtual Norwood Henry. I've lived in Crystal Palace for 8 years now and wouldn't live anywhere else in London. It has a great community focus, plus lots of independent shops and stuff going on.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Try the Penge end of things. Good compromises on cost, community, access...

#6 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks everyone :)

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Try the Penge end of things. Good compromises on cost, community, access...

Penge has the Penge Food Centre, of which I am hugely covetous. So wish they could open an outlet oop t'hill!

#8 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

And Alexandra Nurseries and Tea Shop http://matthewfarran...ndra-nurseries/ and Wilkos http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/ AND the best bit of CP Park http://en.wikipedia....alace_Dinosaurs! :)

#9 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I'd go for Penge if you want to be on the CP fringes... plenty seems to be on the up, and nothing on the down. Parts too have that lovely sense of a hint of rural-ness surviving. Good luck with the search for a home.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#10 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

OK will definitely check out Penge. Any thoughts on South Norwood - I know it hasn't really been gentrified yet but any thoughts on what's going on there?!?

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

I've always thought that Penge would get there first as it's bordered by 'nicer' areas IMO. South Norwood is bordered by Croydon and Thornton Heath, which still have a long way to go. Penge has some great property at good prices and on well kept streets - Thicket Road, Anerley Park Road and the streets off the high street near to Penge East spring to mind. It has some good businesses that have opened over the last few years so there are signs that people want to invest in the area. Both areas have excellent transport links so maybe not much to choose between them there although it depends what your regular journeys are.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

As a new 'fan' of Penge, if you can't live up in CP, plump for there. My views on the other bordering areas are well known......

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Now, now - don't even think about it, Saint!

#14 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Have a look at the streets near South Norwood Lake, the Northurst estate, which is just across the road from the corner and stretches to South Norwood Hill, and Roads like Auckland Road which start in SE25 and finish in SE19 or is it the other way round? If you plump for South Norwood or Penge then you are only ten minutes or less from Crystal Palace, you will end up with a larger property for your money in most cases, and may find things like parking easier, although watch out for this issue in this part of South Norwood due to the football stadium.There are lot's of helpful people on this forum so ask away if you have any other questions, and good luck.

#15 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Posie! Is the football stadium Croydon Sports Arena??

Sadly it looks like I'm priced out of Penge and will have to brave the unknown of SN!!!!!