• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Posie! Is the football stadium Croydon Sports Arena??

The football stadium is Selhurst Park not Croydon Arena.

Edited by Summit Lover, 03 October 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#17 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

As Eva O2 says - the Crystal Palace homeground is Whitehorse Lane, Selhurst, which is where Sainsbury's Selhurst is and it is off South Norwood Hill going toward Thornton Heath, the Croydon Arena is situated at the Country Park, which you get to via Portland Road, South Norwood, this part of South Norwood does have some large houses, but the shopping area is not great, and some people find it a bit intimidating, going further to the bottom of Portland Road there are some great houses around the green there, but you are a bit of a way from the train then. Start as close to Crystal Palace as you can and work your way from there.

#18 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, the streets near Penge East are quite nice and gentrified. Parts of Anerley (Thicket Road/Anerley Park Road etc) are also nice and cheaper overall than CP and GH. Anerley is a very useful station for commuting.
Auckland Road is fine if you have a car, otherwise that road is a real pain to walk down, especially at night as it's badly lit.

#19 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I especially like Maberley Rd, and not just because I live there. OK, it is a lot to do with living there, but it's got some handsome housing stock (we've nicknamed our house style 'baby gothic'), it's got allotments, and it's got South Norwood park. Our house backs onto the railway line (it's the line that goes from CP to Norwood Junction); it's in a deep cutting, and trains aren't going that fast as they pass, so you don't really hear them, but it does mean your garden isn't overlooked from behind. It's a 10 min walk from CP station, and a 15 min brisk stomp up the hill to the Triangle. Have a look at my VN profile, I do really mean that about not being able to think of anywhere else in London I'd rather live...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#20 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yes, Maberely Road is nice, I have friends that live on that road. However, I live in South Norwood - and lovin' it. Contrary to what Posie has said above "...but the shopping area is not great, and some people find it a bit intimidating..." I think the shopping is better than the top end of Portland Road (i.e. from Harrington up towards the railway bridge).

#21 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

You guys are awesome - thanks. Lots to think about :) Please continue........