Photo

Thinking of buying in South Norwood. Advice please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hello All,

Any advice on South Norwood? I've been priced out of Penge so it looks like SN is the next place to move. Hoping the re-gentrification will make it's way down. Anyone here have any advice? Any roads I should be looking at? Nearer the park or Norwood Junction? What's the community like? Shops? Pubs? Coffee shops?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh and any views on schools would also be appreciated!

#2 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

The nicest part IMHO is around South Norwood lakes and Warminster Road - but that might up the price bracket. Still walkable to NJ station and shopping is fairly limited (unless you want nail bars). Can't speak for the pubs - and are there any decent coffee shops in SN?
aka Pie

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

This was posted a few weeks ago:

There is a new cafe called Yeha Noha on Station Road in South Norwood - lots of different nooks and crannies to sit in, tables outside where there is no traffic and really yummy cakes. Give it a try.

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I agree with Sylvester about the nice area and would add to this nearby the Norhyrst Estate roads of Woodvale, Southern Ave, Lancaster rd, Court Rd, Sundial and Norhyrst rd. They have a residents association so if you have any problems you can let them know and they can look into how to solve the issues collectively. SN lakes nearby has a lovely wooded walk and the lake itself whereupon there is a sailing club and also a local hall to do keep fit etc.
A decent 3/4 bed 1930's house with front / back garden and garage are going for £345K

Trains to London Bridge is from Norwood Junction - 10 minutes fast train to town.
Trains to Victoria - 22 minutes
Gatwick (direct but slow)- change at E.Croydon (direct) for fast trains to airport
Dorking & Tonbridge
East London Line to Shoreditch (London Liverpool St. Stn 5 mins walk away) etc....

Its a 20 minute walk to CP and thats where we head if we're going out - sadly SN hasn't got anything pubwise that you would want to go into if you're on your own or single woman unless you're wearing your CPFC T-shirt (I'm a fan but even I don't do this ha ha).

The new coffee shop thats opened up by the station looks nice and does get good feedback on here and its rather nice to see something different being opened in SN. Mantanah on SN Hill by the bridge is fantastic food and would be the only eatery I would actually sit in.

Portland Road at the Woodside end with it's roads off there are actually rather nice to (Victorian terraced houses) and decent price too. I have lived in both area I mentioned and have never had problems - its London so as usual I would be saying just be 'street savvy'.

Schools are a mix (I'm born & bred here) - but harris academy has obvioulsy got to have a mentiion afterall it has great feedback from Ofstead.

Brit School in Selhurst

-----------------As I said before to others who have asked about SN - Go and take a drive round and see it at certain times of day to get the vibe. Its personal preference really to if you would be happy to live here. Good luck x
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Schools are a mix (I'm born & bred here) - but harris academy has obvioulsy got to have a mentiion afterall it has great feedback from Ofstead.

You wouldn't know it was a great school to see the behaviour of some of the pupils :( (c.f. the thread the other week on this).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 punklarry

punklarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Did you move to SN in the end?