Photo

Local Estate/Management Agents - Any Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cicero

Cicero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi All

So far I have been undertaking viewings with the likes of Haart, KFH, Foxtons...

Are there are local agents out there worth registering with?

I also need to look for a reputable managing agent to take care of a 1-bedroom.

I'm likely to buy very soon - may even put in an offer this weekend - and would really like suggestions of an agent that is trustworthy and competent.

I'm only looking to let for 12 - 24 months. Not sure this should pose an issue.

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'd recommend Esta at Haart - straight-talking and efficient. Got the job done!

#3 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Streets ahead for me. Blinding service

#4 Cicero

Cicero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Great - Thanks for the suggestions.

Which branch is she at?

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Sorry, SE19.

#6 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Give Streets Ahead a miss re. management. As a tenant they did nothing once it was let. Even let gas safety check cert run out.

#7 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Streets ahead for me. Blinding service

You're kidding! Terrible service from SA. Had a lettings nightmare with them and they cared not one bit. Mind you a sales chap we met was better.

The best ones are usually the local ones. Conrad Fox I found very helpful. Winkworth is reliable and honest. Pedder was fine.

The ones to avoid are Acorn and Streets Ahead, extremely aggressive tactics. Mixed views on Haart.

#8 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

No, I'm not. They have been brilliant in letting our house out. SA IS local, Acorn cover SE London and in our experience are awful. Winkworth CP is a franchise. I suppose it's all down to personal experience really. Would definitely use SA again, without a shadow.

Edited by St. Lukes Railings, 09 October 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#9 RJD77

RJD77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Time2Move (Streatham management office) have been nothing but trouble for me as a landlord - they withheld rent many times due to 'computer problems', forgot to contact me regarding tenant renewals, didn't pay contractor invoices, failed to provide details of contractor works, couldn't produce a year end statement and so on. They are masters in the art of not answering emails or returning phone calls. NOT recommended.

#10 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I had a bad experience with KfH, so would avoid. I heard that Cooper Giles are good, locally owned and managed.
I have heard bad stories about SA.
Love The Triangle...

#11 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

I *hate* Streetsahead. They screwed up every single phase of what we paid them to do, then made a massive cock-up that ended up costing us nearly £800. I wouldn't p155 on them if they were on fire.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#12 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I wouldn't p155 on them if they were on fire.

Yes, but what do you really think?
Love The Triangle...

#13 mao

mao

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

I would avoid Abode. Had a couple of bad experiences with them. Terrible at managing lettings.Terrible!

#14 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

be fair - RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

No, I'm not. They have been brilliant in letting our house out. SA IS local, Acorn cover SE London and in our experience are awful. Winkworth CP is a franchise. I suppose it's all down to personal experience really. Would definitely use SA again, without a shadow.

Glad you had a positive experience with them. To be fair, the chap that took us on house viewings was fine and I had no complaints. We had MAJOR problems when we were renting through them. We had big problems with our landlord and they didn't want to know. Our landlord also refused to enter our deposit into a tenancy agreement as required by law, and Streets Ahead failed to back us up. One of their lettings guys came to inspect the property before we left and said we'd done a good job of keeping it in order, and said we'd have NO problem getting our deposit back. Yet of course we actually had a nightmare and were involved in a protracted process to get back our money from our money-grabbing landlord, trying to claim money off us for doing the place up after we left. We won in the end, but the landlord still operates.

We later opted to buy a flat, and one of the agencies we used was Acorn. The agent who was dealing with us turned out to be a nightmare. he started off all nice and friendly, then became pushy. He virtually forced us to put an offer in on a property we didn't even like, because he was so pressured with his sales targets. He became quite rude and aggressive when we didn't like the property he was showing us, and he called me constantly to try and force me to make me put in offers.

He may have been acting 'rogue' and not under the general instruction of Acorn, but still it left us with a bad taste of the whole process. In fact we had such an unpleasant experience that it almost put us off the whole idea of buying a house at all.

Just one set of experiences, I'm not saying these agencies are universally bad, but we certainly regret having dealings with them.