Photo

Idiot's guide to finding a Conveyancing Solicitor!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vixylyx

Vixylyx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hello!

After 7 years renting in our delightful Crystal Palace we are finally taking the plunge (and have saved the requisite, exorbitant amount of money...) to buy our first home in Penge or Sydenham. We're complete novices to the whole house-buying malarky and I wondered whether any of you kindly Virtual Norwood folk can recommend a conveyancing solicitor in the local area?

I've emailed Amplett Lissimore (just awaiting a reply) and have used an online conveyancing quote thingy (home.co.uk) to get a rough idea of figures, just wondered if any of you have used someone recently that you could recommend. All help and information gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Vic

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I can heartily recommend Shelley Rounding, whom I endorsed just yesterday on Linked In! http://uk.linkedin.c...ding/25/521/16a You don't need a local conveyancer, incidentally (and she's not, being based in Bracknell) - I never met her but she conducted two pieces of legal work for me (one conveyancing and the other a complicated land dispute) over phone and email with the utmost efficiency, expertise and good humour (which you'll need, buying a property!). Her costs are lower, being out of London, too. I found her former firm, Harrison Li, on VN, where it was glowingly recommended - http://www.virtualno...ing-solicitor/. Good luck and do mention my name if you use her (I can give you my surname on PM).

Edited by GillW, 19 October 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#3 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

We used Chris Christophi on recommendation, and I in turn would highly recommend him. Kept us sane while we made the move to Beckenham. The big difference is that he's human and you can always get hold of him at the end of a phone, which when you're doing such a stressful thing is a godsend! He's also efficient and a very very nice guy.
http://www.downslaw....hris-christofi/
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#4 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

If I ever go through the s*** again, I will definitely take somebody more local. Ours was in Wales, they were good, cheap AND human, BUT it was a nightmare having to always send stuff around and wait 4 days because of post palaver, rather than just being able to pop into somebody's office, sign that piece of paper nobody mentioned before and have it done with in an hour. Doesn't need to CP, but London or South East is definitely recommendable I'd say.

#5 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

We went for the cheap option and used an online conveyancer. We saved a significant amount, and they got the job done in the end, but there is a huge amount of stress attached. I won't name the company, but they were hard to get hold of and so slow in getting things done that our purchase almost fell through. So better to use someone recommended and local. Amplett Lissimore have a good rep I think, but I found their quote a little high. Depends how much you want to spend on conveyancing. You get what you pay for.

#6 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

If I ever go through the s*** again, I will definitely take somebody more local. Ours was in Wales, they were good, cheap AND human, BUT it was a nightmare having to always send stuff around and wait 4 days because of post palaver, rather than just being able to pop into somebody's office, sign that piece of paper nobody mentioned before and have it done with in an hour. Doesn't need to CP, but London or South East is definitely recommendable I'd say.

In contrast, I didn't have to use the post at all - just email. I paid a local notary public, Bennett Welch (020 8670 6141; http://www.bennettwelch.com/; Westow Hill, Upper Norwood, London, SE19 1TX - next to Westow House) http://www.lawsoc-ni...ut-us/notaries/ to get them to witness any original documents in person that Shelley required.

We went for the cheap option and used an online conveyancer. We saved a significant amount, and they got the job done in the end, but there is a huge amount of stress attached. I won't name the company, but they were hard to get hold of and so slow in getting things done that our purchase almost fell through. So better to use someone recommended and local. Amplett Lissimore have a good rep I think, but I found their quote a little high. Depends how much you want to spend on conveyancing. You get what you pay for.

I'm told online conveyancers are often based abroad in a call-centre-like set-up, so avoid like the plague!

Edited by GillW, 19 October 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

We used someone far away as well, and it worked out great. She was always available by phone, returned all emails promptly, faxed documents to us when we were in far away places. Good follow-up care too. (Sorry can't remember her name, but it sounds like you've got several good recs in hand).

#8 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

In contrast, I didn't have to use the post at all - just email. I paid a local notary public, Bennett Welch (020 8670 6141; http://www.bennettwelch.com/; Westow Hill, Upper Norwood, London, SE19 1TX - next to Westow House) http://www.lawsoc-ni...ut-us/notaries/ to get them to witness any original documents in person that Shelley required.

I'm told online conveyancers are often based abroad in a call-centre-like set-up, so avoid like the plague!

Mine was based in Leicester, and the handler was British, but seemed to be extremely overworked and thus unable to answer my emails or call me.

#9 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

The option with the notary didn't cross my mind to be honest. Very clever indeed GillW ;) .
But I am not sure if it really makes things more simple. If this is your first buy, and you feel insecure I would really suggest to go to somebody local where you can sit in an office, get advise, konck on their door when they are late etc. So far I only heard good thing about Amphlet Lissimore and would i need one again, I would go for them. At the end of the day, considering the money you're spending on a house the couple of hundred quid difference don't really matter that much anymore... And also if you are buying in the area, I guess Lissimore knows ALL the estate agents by first name by now. Might be handy too.