13 replies to this topic

#1 Wiirone

Wiirone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hello, new member and first post.
At the bottom of South Norwood Hill on the west side near the junction with the High Street there used to be an old drinking fountain I remember inscribed with the words 'Erected by public subscription' but seemed to be lost during new building works. Does anyone know what happened to it? Shouldn't these things be preserved somehow as part of the local history? Surely if it was created with public funds then it should remain public property?

#2 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Good point Wiirone. Maybe someone on the Stanley Halls Initiative would know?
aka Pie

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Out of interest does anyone know anything about the water fountain on norwood rec (opposite st margarets church site) I know its been there forever even have a picture of the fountain when it had a large decorative pillar on top if it . Picture taken during the time the park was for the owners of the surrounding big houses only !

Looks sad & lonely now !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Out of interest does anyone know anything about the water fountain on norwood rec (opposite st margarets church site) I know its been there forever even have a picture of the fountain when it had a large decorative pillar on top if it . Picture taken during the time the park was for the owners of the surrounding big houses only !

Looks sad & lonely now !

Dazza

Only that it's been there since 1891 and has indeed lost its ornamental column. Happens to the best of us.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#5 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I always remember the water fountains. I remember the one you mention at the bottom of South Norwood Hill, also the one on the rec, and there used to be one on the far corner of South Norwood Lakes. Amazing how refreshing that drink of water was when you were out playing with your mates.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#6 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

The whole area is riddled with underground springs isn't it? These don't just disappear (although I guess some have). Am i right in thinking there is an underground stream on Belvedere Road? I always hear water running through a grate on the corner of that square piece of common land with the trees on it. it runs even when there's no rain. Then further up Belvedere on the corner of some large property it looks like there used to be a fountain or some kind of drinking trough there once. These fountains and springs echo the time when CP and the environs were a rural idyll.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Its called the river Effra !

#8 Biped

Biped

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Is the water fountain on the rec anything to do with the underground river Effra? I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that this underground river runs all the way from its source somewhere underneath the recreation ground through Brixton and eventually comes out into the Thames near Vauxhall. I don't think I've made this up, though I could be wrong!

You beat me to it, Dazza. Here is some more, courtesy of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/River_Effra

#9 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yes, I think you're right - and any connection with Beulah('s) Spa?

Blimey - what about this from that Wiki article?: Local folklore tells of a coffin found floating down the Thames in Victorian times which was traced back to West Norwood Cemetery. Mysteriously, the grave the coffin came from was apparently undisturbed. Further investigation revealed that the ground beneath the grave had subsided and the entire coffin fell into the underground Effra river and floated downstream. :blink:

Edited by GillW, 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#10 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Its called the river Effra !

I know the Effra is supposed to have a source (the only one?) in Norwood rec, but I wasn't aware it had a tributary along Belvedere Road? And there is a legend that Queen Elizabeth sailed all the way to where Hermitage Road is today on the Effra, implausible though that seems. There must also be springs under Gipsy Hill. Presumably Christ Church is built on or near one. There is an area of flowing water on Cawnpore Street, not a huge leap of imagination to suggest it could be linked to a spring...

#11 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

When we have downpour you can see it coming to the surface in several places in the park !

Dazza

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

A bit here on the Upper Norwood part of the Effra - cobbled together from various sources...

The main branch used to emerge as a spring near the junction of Highfield Hill and Harold Road. In rainy spells, springs in the Westow Park area also fed streams that ran into it. The Effra crossed the eastern end of the Recreation Ground, where there was a pond. It then flowed behind the north side of Chevening Road and across the dip in Hermitage Road. The stream can still be heard (and smelled) at a circular grating just to the west of Hermitage Road, north of the school, near the boundary fence of Virgo Fidelis.

The Effra flowed through the grounds of the convent, still above ground in the early 20th century. Once a man working in the stream was swept away by floodwaters. A nun plunged in and dragged him out.

Opposite Elder Road, the Effra crossed Crown Dale at its lowest point. On 17th July 1890, it swept away the brick boundary wall of the convent and flooded the lower-lying parts of West Norwood. The stream then ran to the east of Elder Road through the present Norwood Park.
Another branch of the Effra came from the north side of Westow Hill. It used to flow down behind the east side of Woodland Road, across the end of Colby Road, to the junction of Gipsy Hill and Dulwich Wood Avenue. It then ran across Bell Meadow and under Gipsy Road by The Paxton.

The construction of the Central Hill estate uncovered a third branch, which passes under Sainsbury Road and the railway to the junction of Oaks Avenue and Gipsy Road.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#13 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

A bit here on the Upper Norwood part of the Effra - cobbled together from various sources...

The main branch used to emerge as a spring near the junction of Highfield Hill and Harold Road. In rainy spells, springs in the Westow Park area also fed streams that ran into it. The Effra crossed the eastern end of the Recreation Ground, where there was a pond. It then flowed behind the north side of Chevening Road and across the dip in Hermitage Road. The stream can still be heard (and smelled) at a circular grating just to the west of Hermitage Road, north of the school, near the boundary fence of Virgo Fidelis.

The Effra flowed through the grounds of the convent, still above ground in the early 20th century. Once a man working in the stream was swept away by floodwaters. A nun plunged in and dragged him out.

Opposite Elder Road, the Effra crossed Crown Dale at its lowest point. On 17th July 1890, it swept away the brick boundary wall of the convent and flooded the lower-lying parts of West Norwood. The stream then ran to the east of Elder Road through the present Norwood Park.
Another branch of the Effra came from the north side of Westow Hill. It used to flow down behind the east side of Woodland Road, across the end of Colby Road, to the junction of Gipsy Hill and Dulwich Wood Avenue. It then ran across Bell Meadow and under Gipsy Road by The Paxton.

The construction of the Central Hill estate uncovered a third branch, which passes under Sainsbury Road and the railway to the junction of Oaks Avenue and Gipsy Road.

Thanks for that. I wish they would uncover some of it once more. I believe it is mostly a sewer these days (downstream), so perhaps that's the problem... I presume the convent section is also now culverted?

#14 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for that. I wish they would uncover some of it once more. I believe it is mostly a sewer these days (downstream), so perhaps that's the problem... I presume the convent section is also now culverted?

It would be interesting to know whether it flows purely through the Convent -does anyone have the nerve to ask the Head Honcha?

Drinking fountains were quite common at one time, with horse-troughs. There was one by the Crooked Billet in Penge. On the odd occasion one sees a horse-drawn vehicle (last year, a rag-and-bone man came by, and just as in the past, had gone before I was able to hail him -- as if, really, he would have been interested in my old rubbish!), one wonders how the poor nag gets to drink?