• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Firstly I lived in Charters close on Gipsy hill in the 60s and 70s here's some names events places I can remember I went to Paxton and can remember them demolishing the old school and I went to both the old one and the new one names in my class I left in 74 that I can remember a few I'm still in contact with are
Angela Lovelace, Peter Bevis, Noel Rooney, Paula Stewart . Robert Hannon, Mark Golly , Jimmy Schofield, Mario Delahunty, Wendy Reuter, Leo Foure, Jane Cox, Sandra Christmas Michael Day one who did go onto make a name for himself was Steve Bunce who now writes for the Independant and is often on the tele when the boxing is on he was the boyfriend of a girl called Michelle Cooper when he was at Paxton,
Events I can remember are the fire on Gipsy Hill Station that destroyed the platform canopy , the fire in Colby road that sadly killed two children the opening of the fuel station on Gipsy Hill Medhursts the tv shop the sweet shops on Gipsy hill the one at the top run by the Newbolds the one that's just down from Colby road still there to this day I can also remember the shops on the left as you came down Gipsy Hill
the fire at Christ church on Gipsy Hill The vicar at the Church in my day was a Mr Tennant his son now works with my wife here in Gloucestershire his name is Peter and he had a brother Mark
I can also remember the fire at the toyshop in Church road opposite the Bingo Hall
My parents when they married in 47 lived at the house on the site now of upper Norwood Methodist church and the old church was next door my mother ran the girl guides at the church in the late 70s a few names I remember are Penny Vassie , Mitsie Keogh, Heather White. The vicar at the church was Douglas Wollen followed by Peter Coates
I can also remember the central hill estate been built and them knocking down all the old big Victorian houses what were they thinking of !!!!!!
I can also removed Vivos shop in Gipsy road and the toyshop when I live in charters close a woman who lived in the bungalow at the bottom set fire to it then not long after she committed suicide by lying down behind a steam roller when they were resurfacing Gipsy Hill !!!!
I can also remember them building the estate on the site of the high level station
There are plenty of vids on the car racing in CP park on youtube inc Jack Brabham and Graeme Hill also I didn't realise till recently that the site of the CP was used during the war as a massive scrapyard where women worked dismantling cars for metal for the war etc If you go on the British Pathe website and search Crystal Palace there are some good old footage
many a happy hour we spent in Westow park Palace Park Norwood Park as kids I also seem to remember a woman was murdered in Auyben road
I also had friends who lived in Giles Coppice and the kings wood estate
I now live in Gloucestershire but love coming back to have a walk round The Palace my wife thinks I'm sad !!! I don't think you should forget the past
My mother saw the fire in 1936 she was 9 she is sadly no longer with us but she had many life long friends who lived all their lives in the Upper Norwood area

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Shocking re the woman lying down under the steam roller - what a way to go :blink:

Have slightly re-jigged your post title to perhaps gain more views.

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Fascinating!

#4 Gnomi18

Gnomi18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hi AndyR

I am trying to find out when Forbes Court and Gould Court on Gipsy Hill were built. they are the two blocks just up from the petrol station. Wonder if you, or anybody else, can help me out with that please. Thanks

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Just watching the Pathe News film of the dismantling of the CP towers in 1941. No health and safety rules then! You really get a taste of how the Palace looked and its enormous size from some of those old films. Thanks for the link AndyR.

Edited by Sylvester, 21 October 2013 - 04:26 PM.

aka Pie