• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Station_Resident

Station_Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Don't know if anyone has seen this recently. Has some great videos of the race track in use at Crystal Palace up until the early 70s.

http://www.speedhunt...-crystal-palace

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. Apologies if it has but I'm fairly new here.

#2 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Don't know if anyone has seen this recently. Has some great videos of the race track in use at Crystal Palace up until the early 70s.

http://www.speedhunt...-crystal-palace

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. Apologies if it has but I'm fairly new here.

World's oldest racing circuit? I would guess that the Romans have a claim to that!

#3 Station_Resident

Station_Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yes, I perhaps should have included the word "motor" in the title. :)

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Great photos, Station_Resident!

Ironically, perhaps, I had my first driving less on CP car park, but alas did not become skilled enough to race (or, er pass my test. hum.).

Caradeuc if you are going to be pedantic, ancient Greeks?! Hippodromes.
Rachel
My link

#5 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Great photos, Station_Resident!

Ironically, perhaps, I had my first driving less on CP car park, but alas did not become skilled enough to race (or, er pass my test. hum.).

Caradeuc if you are going to be pedantic, ancient Greeks?! Hippodromes.

Sorry, yes I was being unnecessarily pedantic.

#6 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

:) me too! Friday sillyness.
Rachel
My link

#7 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Plenty of vids on youtube of the cars round the track inc Mk 1 lotus cortinas Jack Brabham and Graham HIll if you put in BSCC crystal palace I think you will find it pretty easy for other old footage go to the British Pathe website and search Crystal Palace I never new that the old site during the war was a massive scrapyard where women dismantled cars for the metal for the war until I saw it on a old news reel on the British Pathe website

#8 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Strange to think that it was only closed because, it was said, the local residents, while they did not object to the racing, which was only a few days a year, they did object to all the doors slamming as people came and went. So then the way was clear to buld the NSC and athletics etc, (where the first Speedway in UK was put on before).

But now we have the Olympic place which may or may not continue to do Athletics, but seems certain to kill Crystal Palace. So -no Motoer-racing, no athletics, no cricket on the cricket pitch, not even Sunday league football. No bandstand, a silent concert-bowl. Gosh, someone has been really creative!

And thank God no-one rebuilt the Palace! Just imagine how awful would that have been! :huh:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crystal Palace, Motor Racing