Photo

Queens Hotel extension - planning consultation - link?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Percy Pig

Percy Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

Whilst I understand that the hotel brings people to CP, these extra rooms will surely only exacerbate the issue of illegal parking in the surrounding streets as there are is insufficient parking now for guests even before any extra rooms are built. I know that the residents of Fitzroy Gdns have experienced illegally parked cars and vans on a nightly basis in recent weeks (mostly Vans parked totally on pavements where there are double yellow lines) and this week the bin lorry was unable to get access because of an illegally parked vehicle, meaning rubbish and recycling lay uncollected for over 24 hours; I shudder to think what would happen if a fire engine had to get down the road.

#32 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

Queens hotel, fresh from getting an extension approved now want to ram another 56 rooms in.

However they are proposing to get rid of the massive Banqueting function room and squeeze in 2 levels of rooms. Can’t say these will be pleasant rooms as I doubt the sound proofing would be up to scratch and all those in rooms to the right look like they will have no natural light.

Those lucky to get a room on the far wall will have a tiny slither of a upvc window to look out on that can’t be opened. This windows were recently put in as the hotel put in an application to get more natural light into the function room.

I have no problem with the hotel here as I think it’s good for the town centre but this is surely a step to far?

15/02362/LP | Removal of existing internal fittings, and the construction of internal partitions and fittings. | Queens Hotel, 122 Church Road, London, SE19 2UG

http://publicaccess....YD_DCAPR_146794

Current

fk0Yy38.png

Planned

uFtw7rd.png

96bj6dg.png

It really is cram them in sub-standard accommodation. Imagine staying in one of these rooms, hardly any, if at natural light, no window openings or fresh air, inadequate soundproofing.

Also,if it took them several years to get approval and overcome transport and parking issues for the now approved extra 24 rooms which pretty much showed you could just about justify parking how can they claim another 56 rooms will have no extra impact.

As people have mentioned the current 196 room causes illegal parking in the surrounding streets. Add on the approved 24 and the extra 56 and you have 276 rooms , an increase of over 40% on whats there now.

Such a shame the dodgy owners seem to determined to treat this hotel as a slum hotel rather than invest and make it half decent.

http://www.stevereed...lum-conditions/

Be worth contacting MP Steve Reed.

Edited by Norwood lad, 14 June 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#33 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

That's not a hotel, it's a g*d d*mn battery chicken farm...

Although I doubt any of the inmates.. er, guests.. will have the wherewithal to run four wheels. Most of their custom seems to be teenage backpackers, asylum seekers and others in need of cheap temporary accommodation.

Parking problems at the Queens seem mostly to be caused by the weddings. Presumably with the loss of the banqueting (sic) room, it'll be good riddance to those.

#34 Percy Pig

Percy Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

Sorry Wulfhound but the parking problems are no longer caused by weddings and other functions, things have moved on! There are many builders/contractors using the hotel during the week and there is simply not enough parking space for their vans plus the cars of other guests; furthermore the hotel also charges a fiver to park in their car park. The result is illegal parking almost every night in Fitzroy Gdns and maybe other nearby streets. When the parking enforcement people attend they have a field day issuing tickets.

#35 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:20 PM

I had noticed all the builders vans. Are they working on renovating the hotel, or using it as a dorm while travelling to other construction jobs in London from further afield?

#36 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

Wulfhound - Re: Builders Vans - Gangs of construction workers on contract are using the Queens as a dorm for travelling to jobs in London, Croydon and further afield. They are also using The Lodge in Crystal Palace Park.

#37 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Croydon in their infinite wisdom waved thought the extra 56 substandard rooms with minimum fuss.

The Nationals White van man builders rejoice ;)

#38 Percy Pig

Percy Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Unbelievable! Just shows what contempt the Council have for the views of the local residents.

#39 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

This is awful !!  And no doubt a fire hazard too.  It is amazing what low aspirations Croydon have for the North of the Borough, right in the middle of a conservation area. Crazy, crazy muddled thinking.