• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

I managed to work out yesterday how to upload images onto VN and I know there are still some that are struggling with it.
The different methods vary by which browser you use. I recently changed to Google Chrome which not only is it much faster than Firefox or IE it is also a lot easier to add images.

To add images straight from web page onto VN using Google Chrome:

Just hover the mouse icon over the image you want to use, right click image, select 'Copy image URL', go onto VN reply box, select the little TV screen icon and right click paste into that box. The image should appear!
This method doesn't seem to work on Firefox or IE, you will have to save the image onto your computer and follow the next step. (so best switch over to Google Chrome as I can now add images in 5 to 10 seconds!)

Adding images from your computer onto VN:

First you need a photo hosting site, I now use 'photobucket', it only takes a few seconds to set up an account.
Upload your image onto photobucket, click the image and on the right hand side there is a list of four codes for your image.
Select 'IMG Code', go onto VN reply box, select the little TV screen icon, right click and ..... drum roll............it dosen't work! :(

What you see when you preview the post is a little postage stamp sized image thing on the screen and under 'preview post' just a load of code beginning with (IMG)http:// loads of other writing followed by (IMG).

Right, what you need to do is copy the code straight from underneath post preview by right clicking and dragging it all until it is all highlighted in blue then in the box where you normally type (don't try and put it in the TV icon this time) just right click and paste and hey presto, it should come up as an image! :) (you sometimes need to check by previewing post again)

Well, the above way now works for me but I'm sure others have different ways, depending on different browsers, but as I said earlier, well worth giving Google Chrome a try.

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

Yay! I used Google Chrome instead of Firefox and it worked! My first VN picture. Thanks, Hermit!

Edited by GillW, 10 November 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#3 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

My pleasure, Gill. I know how frustrating it could get trying to work out how to do it, nearly had me pulling my hair out at times!

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I use Google Chrome - or Dolphin Beta on my tablet.

I usually upload my own pics by first uploading them onto flickr, then copying the BBCode (in the 'share' option) directly into the VN posting box.

If copying the URL of an web based image I find it often only works properly on VN if you keep clicking until you get the source image. For instance, if I find a pageful of images using the google image search function I find I have to click again on the image to get to the original rather than just copying the image URL from the initial page.