• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

I've sometimes wondered what London would look like now if it hadn't been for the Second World War and the Blitz. Now here's a fascinating map of where all the bombs dropped in London - and there are a LOT of them! Navigate round the map and you can see where all the bombs dropped in our part of the capital (explaining much of the post-war filling in of old bombsites).

http://bombsight.org...51.5050/-0.0900

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

In the sixties there were still a lot of bomb sites around and the crater holes made for fantastic play spaces. :)

I know of one site in Bermondsey within a row of Victorian terraced houses that, although now levelled, cannot be built on due to contamination of the ground. I think it was a V1 or V2 strike and propellant leaked into the soil.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I played on a lot of empty bomb sites in the 70 's in crystal palace in fact my uncle has kept him bomb shrapnel collection from the local area from the time.

He always said that the palace was almost guaranteed a bomb hit when the fuzzie wuzzies come over the area which was almost daily at the peak time during the war !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Charming
Love The Triangle...