• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lewis23

lewis23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Myself and girlfriend have been asked to move out of current accomodation due to the fact that the guy we are renting the flat off from is on housing benefit and for obvious reason, he is not allowed to rent out the property. We only just found out because some lady from the housing association came to inspect the flat but was shock to see us in the property, she told us that we weren't suppose to be staying at the property and said we have to move out because now the flat will be taken away from the guy.:

The problem is that 1. We are completely unaware of this information as the guy told us that the property belongs to his mum and that he was renting out the property for her. 2. The rent of the flat is 700 which we already paid, this month and next 3. He is not answering his phone and I don't know where he lives. We can't afford to rent a place atm as we are really low on cash.

So I was wondering if anyone on here is got a spare room, studio, basement warehouse space for myself, girlfriend and our two lovely cats ( ivy & Murphy) they are house cats and has never been outside the flat before.

Atm we can only afford 150-200 PCM but this is short term for atleast 2 months, I know this is a long shot but I thought why not ask and see if anyone can help? We are young friendly people,23 and 20, respectable, honest, tidy and most importantly genuine. We are happy to help with cleaning, babysitting, pets sitting or even help around in business.

Please we urgently and desperately need accomodation help, if you have anything or know someone who does please let us know. Lewis & Vienna

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation, Lewis - your recent posts about work opportunities show that you're really trying to get on in life and this must feel like a real setback. You need to contact Citizens' Advice and your local councillor (theres a thread in the News & Issues section if the forum that will tell you who he or she is if you're not sure) and get them to support you in getting your money back from your dishonest landlord - don't let him get away with it! Other posters may know more, but is this not also a matter for the police, if Lewis has been a victim of fraud?

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

And here's the page where you find out who your councillor is by typing in your (current) postcode: http://www.writetoth...FQYLtAod8WtGhg.

I spoke to the National Fraud Authority on your behalf: 0300-123-2040 http://www.homeoffic...nfa/contact-us/ and they said you should call them and they will be able to advise you what to do next.

#4 lewis23

lewis23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks a million Gillw, I really do appreciate your comments and effort. Yes I do feel like the whole world got dropped on my shoulders, I already called the police but its no help really but I am still going to call the other number you posted. Thanks alot x

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Pleasure, Lewis - this is really rough timing, what with Christmas only days away. You and your girlfriend must be worried witless about where you'll go next (hence your posting at 3.04am). If you are to be made homeless any moment, you must must must ring the council. Which borough is your current flat in?

Come on VNers, who else can offer sound advice or practical assistance here? Remember the homeless lady we intervened collectively to help a few years ago?

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Always check your landlords credentials it does work the other way !

How did you pay him & why so many months in advance ?

But If you can get address of this scammer you can perhaps make a claim online keep in touch withthe housing association you might be able to tak on to their claim as well !

https://www.gov.uk/m...-money/overview

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nice one, Dazza! Knew you'd have some good property advice :)

#8 lewis23

lewis23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

We both are really stressing atm @Gillw we obviously don't want to be homeless especially not during the chrismas and this weather, it's freezing, I can't begin to imagine whats going to be like. I can't go to sleep anymore it's really sad. @Dazza we pay him cash, a month rent and deposit. Apparently the flat will be taken away from him as this is not the first time his done it, he was once evicted but got the property back so I was told my neighbors. I already rang the council but they not saying anything beneficial so now we are completely been *** over, pardon my French, I don't know how else to say it

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Not much help at the moment but this may assist you in the future- http://www.standard....ds-8412636.html

#10 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Just noticed this thread - am so sorry to hear of your troubles Lewis. The only thing I can suggest is to refuse to leave the flat. This will force the HA to remove you through the courts - a process that could take some time and will buy you time over Christmas.

The HA cannot throw you out without court order, dig your heels in and stand your ground.

Good luck!

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Really sorry to hear this terrible situation!
CitM might be right. At the same time follow up on GillW's suggestions - keep at them, and try to do as much by as you can as then you will have a paper trail.

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Agree with Citizen M tennants get so many rights even when they are so in the wrong exploit this law in this case you are at least a worthy cause !

They will have to go thru the courts & it will take at least 8 weeks to get rid of you prob longer over the xmas period !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Great advice, folks. Keep us posted, Lewis.

#14 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Lewis

Cuttin to the chase, if you have paid three months in advance then more fool you, but if I where you, stay in the flat for the time you have paid for and let whoever owns the place evict you, because it takes a fair bit of time to go through the process of evicting someone so enjoy Christmas and stop being so damn considerate / respectful of whoever owns your flat. Presumeably you have signed a rental / short term letting agreement so plead ignorance and stay there until your three months that you have paid for has run out.

Heck just maybe, mug off your dodgy landord and stay there even longer without paying rent and see how it fares, whats the worst that can happen?

Dont worry about being too honest and upstanding in this particular instance!!

#15 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Good point, Andy!