• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Anyone got a preference and why?

I am a week or so away from the end of a free trial on both and am veering towards Netflix. Lovefilm Instant seems to have considerably less choice than the Lovefilm postal service.

#2 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I had Netflix and used it to watch things I already owned on DVD so cancelled it.

I tend to favour Netflix as they pay and generate new content (paying for the return of Arrested Development, one of the funniest comedies, ever.) which I feel is at least doing something new.

But I cancelled my subscription as I like owning things, and don't want to see HMV go the way of Woollies, Zavvi and Comet.
So I buy DVDs in the HMV sale. :blink:

Edited by Billy S, 26 December 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Love The Triangle...

#3 duddle

duddle

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

hmm... I tried both of them for their trial periods and was rather disappointed with their selection of online films...
there's a few new smaller contenders starting to advertise now who appear to have a much newer selection of films...which is really what I'm after. I'm not really interested in watching an old film and would much rather watch something recent I missed at the cinema.

#4 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

We trialled both, and didn't like either. Both had a pretty poor selection, especially Lovefilm, and Netflix's streaming was stuttery, to the point that we stopped watching His Girl Friday and downloaded it from a naughty place. Both Lovefilm and Netflix got kicked into touch.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I've got both on my Sony TV so streaming doesn't seem to be a problem. Am probably going to plump for Netflix - especially as I am only half way through S1 of Breaking Bad.

#6 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

We had the same trouble on both laptop and Sony Bravia, despite having amazingly fast broadband.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Maybe I am lucky then with my Broadband - I've got cable BB, does that make a difference? (or is it supposed to be worse..).

Edited by Summit Lover, 29 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.