• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#31 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

friends of CP subway (@cpsubway) tweeted at 11:02 AM on Fri, Jan 04, 2013:

There's a few empty properties in the triangle and we don't have a falafel bar yet? Anyone want to start a business. http://t.co/Afmup63z
(https://twitter.com/...151963974549507)

ha ha ha, have you clicked on STORE LOCATOR?

#32 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

ha ha ha, have you clicked on STORE LOCATOR?

Just around the corner

If you're looking for Just Falafel you never have to look far, because we have branches spread across your city, for your convenience. So you don't have to work too hard to grab a delicious, nutritious bite. But if you are really not up to it, Just give us a call and we shall deliver.

Bit difficult from the UAE! Well spotted :)

#33 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Would loooove a Falafel joint in CP though as I have a serious Falafel addiction!

#34 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

You should try Comfort & Joy near Vien on Church Road missp. They're a bit of an oddity in that they mainly make stuff for their stall on Northcross Rd market, and cater slightly reluctantly to passing trade - in my experience anyway. But their falafel pittas with salad, chilli sauce etc are utterly delicious.

#35 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Proof is in the pudding now, the sign is half complete and looks like it will take up most of the side window.

Posted Image

Well I never! After all the fuss it turns out to be a poundmart rather than a pondland, which someone had mentioned earlier and seemed to have been dismissed.
Can't say I've heard of poundmart before, can imagine they are similar to the competitors.

#36 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

You should try Comfort & Joy near Vien on Church Road missp. They're a bit of an oddity in that they mainly make stuff for their stall on Northcross Rd market, and cater slightly reluctantly to passing trade - in my experience anyway. But their falafel pittas with salad, chilli sauce etc are utterly delicious.

I KNOW! Best Falafel in town for deffo! But weird opening times and not really on my daily route....

#37 Edwin

Edwin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I think Yamma's Wine Bar opened in the last year too?

#38 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Apparently planning consent was given recently for 211 to 213 Penge High Street (currently Penge Catering Supplies) to become a restaurant. Never understood why Penge had two catering supplier places (there's one next to the Kent House Tavern too).

Penge has a couple of good cafes in Maple Road and the Casbah's fine but no really good restaurants (though I quite like the one that used to be called Antep Mangel). Be nice if that was now to change.

#39 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Proof is in the pudding now, the sign is half complete and looks like it will take up most of the side window.

Posted Image

I don't get it, why block out natural light and stop people looking at your wares with a stonking massive sticker on your window?

Also with a bit more natural light you won't need as much strip lighting and surely the light fingered amongst us would think twice about pursuing a £1 item for free if you knew have the people popping to Sainsbury's could see what your doing (well that's my excuse anyway ;) ).

#40 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I guess they will need the space for shelving.

#41 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Apparently planning consent was given recently for 211 to 213 Penge High Street (currently Penge Catering Supplies) to become a restaurant. Never understood why Penge had two catering supplier places (there's one next to the Kent House Tavern too).

Noooooo that was my favourite place to buy tools for the kitchen ..... arrghhhhh !!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#42 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Spoke to one of the builders at Socialize today, apparently its going to be a charity shop. Also noticed that the big place next to the opticians thats been closed for years seems to be having some building work done. The roof and skylights have been removed and the estate agents boards have gone so maybe this will be opening as something soon as well.

#43 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Spoke to one of the builders at Socialize today, apparently its going to be a charity shop. Also noticed that the big place next to the opticians thats been closed for years seems to be having some building work done. The roof and skylights have been removed and the estate agents boards have gone so maybe this will be opening as something soon as well.

Isn’t that going for some ridiculously high rent, if so surely it’s beyond the means of a charity unless the owner thinks it’s better to have it filled than empty, at least in the short term.

What is the other place you mentioned? The old SE Thai restaurant or the decades closed place next door? I noticed one of them, forget which, has had the residential parts above it spruced up and painted.

Although not new shop openings there seems to be a bit of a flurry with residential builds on the actual triangle at the moment. Both 115 Church Rd ( the old, long closed garage) and the spot next to Urban Orient are having new units built with Shop units at ground level and the works to build on top of KFH on Westow Hill looks like it will be starting this year. Coupled with news that the developers of the smart new brick block behind Westow Hill/St are going to redevelop Ranger Mansions soon it seems to suggest CP is becoming more of a residential hot spot. Who knows it might even encourage the notoriously shy to build developer at Victory Place to actually build there ( provided he gets planning permission).

#44 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Its the one thats been closed for decades not the old SE Thai restaurant. The old Thai is the one with the residential units on top. If you look through the upstairs windows from street level you can see that the whole roof is being removed/replaced and the workmen doing it up. As for the charity shop at the old socialize store i was surprised to as thought someone said it was around £35000 a year to rent out which does seem a lot for a charity but the builder seemed pretty adamant that that was what it was going to be.

#45 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Ah that one. I wonder what is planned as they wouldn’t go to the trouble of taking the roof off in January if they weren’t actively going to do something with it.