Photo

What do you REALLY want in CRYSTAL PALACE?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 DogDayCare06

DogDayCare06

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I ask this question for a number of reasons;

I love and work in Crystal Palace
I am seeing more and more empty shops
My partner may be interested in purchasing a commercial premises to do something "New" in the area with the support of his retired and student family member's.

I think C P certainly has enough restaurants BUT...Having a partner from Peru, I am a bit bias in thinking a great Peruvian or just South American restaurant in general would be good. I also love nicnaks/ antiques and quirky household stuff from around the world that could be sold to us CP residents.

Am I right in my observation that......

C P is becoming more and more upmarket BUT why is it the consistently busiest places on the high street include Pound stretcher/ Iceland and for restaurants Thai Crystal as opposed to other fancier restaurants ??!! Are new places such as Pier's bar getting it wrong with posh prices ?

I get the impression us in C P want the more upmarket life style, we want to drink in Gastro pubs, enjoy a cocktial in a stylish bar or eat in a lovely restaurant BUT we dont want to keep paying £60 for a meal for two, £5 for a pint and £9 for a cocktail.

What would be helpful to have? Not bring down the the street, be affordable and for most to enjoy??

#2 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Me, I'd love to see a good butchers, a greengrocer and a fish shop. Aside from them, it'd be cool to have a 2nd music shop, staffed by knowledgeable folks who very much have their finger on the pulse, and respect my need for cheesey techno, old film soundtracks, weird Scandinavian metal, European electronic avant garde shite, and Motown soul. Kind of like the old Warrior shop. If they could have a corner at the back of the shop that did cheap graphic novels, so much the better. Sigh. Wishful thinking really.

I do like the sound of a Peruvian place though, especially if it did really great ceviches.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#3 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

I think C P certainly has enough restaurants BUT...Having a partner from Peru, I am a bit bias in thinking a great Peruvian or just South American restaurant in general would be good.

We do have a Venezuelan, a Brazilian cafe and a Cuban kinda place but they are more cafes than restaurants. Saying that, we do have far more choice than most areas in general.

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Actually Pierre's (as opposed to Pier's) has very reasonable prices - certainly for wine.

#5 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

I was looking for a dog day care service, but after trawling through the board I still can't find one...

#6 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

A Peruvian/South American restaurant would be great. Please do that!

#7 DogDayCare06

DogDayCare06

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Actually Pierre's (as opposed to Pier's) has very reasonable prices - certainly for wine.

Pierre's gets automatically corrected to Piers on my Ipad. As for reasonable prices, if tis reasonable people want, why is the place empty pretty much every evening?

From what I can see, restaurants do not do bad, well some do awful but others not so but the bars seem to do really bad in this area?

My partner would absolutely love a South American restaurant with hearty food at decent prices! The atmospheres in such places are usually great. Will have to do some research into it I think!

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Pierre's gets automatically corrected to Piers on my Ipad. As for reasonable prices, if tis reasonable people want, why is the place empty pretty much every evening?

From what I can see, restaurants do not do bad, well some do awful but others not so but the bars seem to do really bad in this area?

It is quite a bit cheaper than the wine range at, say, The Alma. The place became quite full on Friday night but I think most places are suffering a bit mid-week on peoples' meagre post Christmas budgets and 'alcohol free January' efforts.

What restaurants do really badly in your opinion - and which bars are you referring to?

#9 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Mmmmm... flame grilled guinea pig. ('Cuy' - and it doesn't actually taste like chicken!)

Edited by Sidney Ruff-Diamond, 07 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#10 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have the feeling that the expensive places almost do better than the cheap ones! Tamnag Thai is always full to burst and Joanna's and Exhibition Room do well to. These are NOT the cheap options in CP.
I honestly think it's down to a VERY good mixture of quality produce AND design. If you manage to create a bar or restaurant that looks stylish and cosy at the same time, offers good drinks, wines, some really good Ales and a few cocktails, you will do well here. Obviously this doesn't mean it will be packed every day, but Thursdays to Sundays will be fine. So a small place with a little extra in the decor, but not to expensive to run would be a good option I guess. I'm not sure if a straight forward Peruvian restaurant would be enough to pull in the crowds... We have pubs that want to be bars and bars that want to be pubs, but don't really have proper quirky, funky little bars. Yes there is Exhibition Room and Numidie but they still sort of seem as an appendix to their restaurants and are not particularly quirky or stylish... Vintage being the word for CP I would rather go that direction than folklore, something like this for ex (even though this is obviously a bit extreme, but you get the drift): Lounge Bohemia
Good Luck.

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

We do have quite a few restaurants already.
What we need is a cinema! We need a place where there is something to do besides spend a lot of money on food.
(And I'm a person who goes out quite a lot).

#12 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

A small dedicated music venue!

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

A small dedicated music venue!

Numidie Bar has almost become that - live music Wed, Sat and Sunday. Unfortunately it is WAY too loud in such a small venue for me and I sadly can no longer visit on those evenings.

#14 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Numidie Bar has almost become that - live music Wed, Sat and Sunday. Unfortunately it is WAY too loud in such a small venue for me and I sadly can no longer visit on those evenings.

Agreed! When I go out to a bar I want to have a chat, not listen to live music that is generally to loud and mostly very second rate... If I want a concert, I go to a concert. So a small place dedicated to music would be great indeed.

#15 DogDayCare06

DogDayCare06

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

It is quite a bit cheaper than the wine range at, say, The Alma. The place became quite full on Friday night but I think most places are suffering a bit mid-week on peoples' meagre post Christmas budgets and 'alcohol free January' efforts.

What restaurants do really badly in your opinion - and which bars are you referring to?

Theres quite a few on the Triangle that I never see full, the Indians in particular and some others but without walking past again I cannot remember the name off the top of my head. Apart from the opening Friday, I haven't seen Pierre's bar even almost full on a Friday or Saturday yet, which has put me off going in their. The bar next door is exactly the same, every Saturday ive walked in, ive walked out after one as its so dead. From time to time they fill up a bit if showing a live sporting event but from what ive experienced it soon quietens down. Westow Hill is absolutely packed every weekend. I wonder what they are doing differently or maybe there are just more "pub" people in the area. I guess sometimes things just do not work. You could have two great restaurants and for some reason one is always raved about and busy and the other one at the same standard just isnt..