Photo

What do you REALLY want in CRYSTAL PALACE?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

My partner would absolutely love a South American restaurant with hearty food at decent prices! The atmospheres in such places are usually great. Will have to do some research into it I think!

Well you don't have to research too deeply DDC - there's Cafe Latino (Venezuelan), Casa Cuba and Brasiliana in the triangle alone, and a Mexican place (if it's still going) just round the corner on Central Hill. How many South American restaurants does one small town centre need?

I agree with missp that it actually seems to be the more expensive places that are doing better, and I'd love to see more sophisticated venues in the triangle. Absolutely fed to the back teeth with quirky mismatched sofas, vintage teacups and the like. Great places for mums and kids to meet up during the day, but otherwise that stuff has really passed its sell-by imo. And don't get me started on ear-splitting music.

I'd rather lay out my hard-earned for comfort (carpet even!!), style and a grown-up ambience. Along the lines of Joanna's, with a pianist, singer, jazz, maybe a bit of couply dancing...and please god, no 'theme'.

They had that kind of thing up until the 60s/70s but later generations have missed out, unless you're rich enough to join a private club in town.

It'll never happen, but I can dream...

#17 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Theres quite a few on the Triangle that I never see full, the Indians in particular and some others but without walking past again I cannot remember the name off the top of my head. Apart from the opening Friday, I haven't seen Pierre's bar even almost full on a Friday or Saturday yet, which has put me off going in their. The bar next door is exactly the same, every Saturday ive walked in, ive walked out after one as its so dead. From time to time they fill up a bit if showing a live sporting event but from what ive experienced it soon quietens down. Westow Hill is absolutely packed every weekend. I wonder what they are doing differently or maybe there are just more "pub" people in the area. I guess sometimes things just do not work. You could have two great restaurants and for some reason one is always raved about and busy and the other one at the same standard just isnt..

I think the asian restaurants get by ok - they aren't always packed to the gills but seem to have their regulars and enough to keep them going. It is good to have the choice.

I don't like the Westow - too cavernous, too noisy, too packed and too grubby. I much prefer somewhere like Pierre's where you can walk in and easily get a seat, and be able to talk to friends easily above the music in attractive surroundings.

I would quite like an intimate, cosy wine-bar - the ER cocktail loung is a bit too dark and hard edged for me and the Numidie Bar (which I used to love) is now out of bounds because of the loud live music they keep playing there at weekends and mid-week.

Quite like perching on the high tables in the Sparra with a carafe of wine, chewing the fat and watching the world go by - Brucie Bonus if I can stick my tongue out at Dazza if he saunters by :)

Overall though, when I think of the sparse offerings (IMO) available when I turfed up in CP 25 years ago I am pretty happy.

#18 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

some sort of bar/cafe/restaurant thing that makes use of the view of the London skyline as you look north off of westow hill - failing that a knocking shop or tattoo parlour!

#19 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

some sort of bar/cafe/restaurant thing that makes use of the view of the London skyline as you look north off of westow hill

Like!!

failing that a knocking shop or tattoo parlour!

Don't Like!!

Edited by Summit Lover, 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#20 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

There's already a tattoo parlour on Anerley Rd...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#21 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

A police station

#22 Ninky

Ninky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

A good place to buy fresh veg would be nice. Didn't there used to be a market?

#23 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

A butchers would be simply amazing, as would a cinema. Perhaps combine the two! There's a niche in the market for sure.

"two adults for Django Unchained and 6 Toulouse sauasages please"

#24 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

A butchers would be simply amazing, as would a cinema. Perhaps combine the two! There's a niche in the market for sure.

"two adults for Django Unchained and 6 Toulouse sauasages please"

Or Liver let Die / A-pork-alypse Now / Silence of the Lambs / The Sound of Moo (sic) / Bedknobs and Rump Steaks / Little Chop of Horrors

#25 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ooh, I like this game. How about:

The Lamb-shank Redemption
Jurrasic Pork
Beauty and the Beef
The Great Escalope

That's the best I could do for now, and don't want to get in trouble for going too off-topic...

#26 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hambo?

#27 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Revenons a nos moutons! I needed to buy toys, actual toys, before Christmas. I wandered all around Central London -Hamleys was a no-no. Nothing anywhere. Finally, out of pure frustration, squandered money in the little area John Lewis has, on stuff I did not want.

I think the place in Beckenham, which once was a branch of Hamley's, is still on the go, but when I last visited, it was just a load of stuff in boxes. The area has suffficient restos, and competition is fierce. Why look for trouble?

Of course, you may need to keep a Sig Sauer underneath the counter......

#28 j f carpentry

j f carpentry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I love the sound of a 2nd hand GOOD music shop, with the possibility of having live, maybe alternative, music performed. 

But CP also need a butchers, green grocers, so we who try to shop local, really can shop local!

#29 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

hang-glider shop!

- imagine if you could toss yourself off (ooh err matron) gipsy hill and land in central london 10 mins later - not sure the journey on the way home with your disassembled kit on a packed train would be quite so alluring though!

#30 randomjack

randomjack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

A Rodizio Restaurant.
www.bmwrdc.com