18 replies to this topic

#1 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hi all,

New to this and relatively new to CP. Just wondering if anywhere decent would be showing the 6 Nations rugby over the next few months? My first thought would be Westow House but the TV on the wall in there is pretty tiny and I don't imagine the usual crowd would warm to rugby...

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

#2 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

The irish bar called Patricks on Westow Hill is showing the 6 nations rugby in the downstairs bar on a big screen , a group of us got together to watch the Autmn internationals and the landlord promised to do it again for the 6 nations . Took the Mrs and was pleased to find a rugger loving , mixed crowd instead of drunk , shouty footy yobs . Gypsy tavern also shows rugby and the Grape will if its on bbc (?) as I dont think they have sky .

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

C-A-N-N-O-T W-A-I-T !!!!

Gypsy Tavern seems to have them on screen (will miss the first weekend - other half birthday and I have been BANNED from watching rugby) but I am covered for the rest .... I will try Patrick's ..... when I am not watching them live ;-)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks both! A lot of my mates are North of the River Folk and was hoping to drag a few down to show of CP and get some rugby watched at the same time, will check out the Irish bar, thanks for the suggestion! Not been in there for a beer before...

#5 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hopefully Patricks will be open at stupid o'clock in the morning for the Lions tour in oz. I was there for a couple of World Cup games last year... having your first pint at 7am and rolling out hammered at midday is something that should be encouraged.

I'm glad they're opening the downstairs bar - they used to be democratic with the big screen upstairs but recently football seems to be getting favoured no matter how many want to watch the rugby.

2 weeks to go! Can't bloody wait!

Edited by Sidney Ruff-Diamond, 16 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#6 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Westow House has shown them in the past. There was a big screen in the back room but I haven't been for ages?

Unfortunately if the matches clash with football then the latter usually gets shown.

#7 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, I did wonder if football gets priority as it seems to in most places. Luckily all 6 Nations games are BBC so can be watched from home if need be, although not sure either my girlfriend or the neighbours appreciate me shouting at the telly on my own.

I emailed Westow the other day asking if they would show it, but no reply. Their website indicates they have a large sports screen but I haven't seen it out before. Would be great if they had a big screen out back in there as I really like the pub and they have decent beers.

When you say the Grape - assume you mean the Grape and Grain?

#8 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Grape & Grain indeed ! Patricks landlord said he wants to get the rugby crowd in more so will let us have downstairs bar for all big rugby games including any at stupid o'clock as long as he gets a crowd thru the door which im sure he would ! The big screen is good and also 50 inch plasma so i rekon 50 odd people downstairs would still watch matches ok.

#9 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm not sure I want to watch it with odd people.

#10 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Odd and proud ! :D

#11 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Odd and proud ! :D

supported

2 games booked (cannot wait) the rest will be telly ....

Edited by LSPE, 16 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#12 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Unfortunately I'll be watching 6 nations in a sports bar in Croydon. CP is too difficult to friends in the wilds of Surrey to reach. Lions tour though, deffo Patricks.

#13 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

With a name like Patricks, I assume the Ireland vs England game could be interesting in there!

#14 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I've been there for a fair few Heineken Cup games involving Munster... it can get a bit loud!

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Looking for tickets for France game prepared to pay a premium for them if anyone knows someone looking to sell tickets !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig