• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

The VN wiki software has been updated. Visit it here or by clicking on "Wiki" in the navigation bar towards the top of the page.

Purpose of the VN Wiki

There have been some periods where the wiki is down (which hasn't helped) but even when it's been up and running it's been underused. Similar to Wikipedia, but with a smaller scope, VN's wiki is a collection of resources including a directory that are very local and useful to the community.

Previously we've had high maintenance pages like "Events in January" etc., and I think it's best if this information is better placed in the forum calendar. Personal photos and/or more unstructured collections of photos may best be placed in the gallery. If you have photos of particular places and a page exists (or you can create one) in the VN Wiki, then that would be awesome. Personal opinions and discussions can go in our most popular place the forum. However, if you are wanting more of a broadcast space and perhaps less discussion, the blogs section is a great place post your thoughts.

The wiki isn't a place for discussion (though you can discuss the wiki in the forum and link to wiki pages), but it is a collection of living documents. Registered members of VN are automatically logged into the wiki and can make edits and add resources to that section of the website.

As with all wikis there is the risk that people will add false information and make edits that are untrue or to push a personal agenda or simply to disrupt. I ask that all members be on the look out for such abuse and these edits can easily be reversed and restrictions placed on members.

Where to find wiki help

Our VN wiki section has its own help pages which show you how to add and edit pages. Also you can ask questions here. Editing the wiki does take a bit of getting use to but it is a great service that you are providing the community and VN. If you aren't able or interested in making edits, please take a look at the section anyway, you'll see that it offers some great information.

Next steps

As with all updates and changes to the forum software it helps if everyone is vigilant and can let me know if you spot a bug. A new homepage is coming to Virtual Norwood which will hopefully pull VN's resources together (wiki navigation section, recent news/posts/calendar etc.)

If you have a local business and would like free advertising (banners, links and perhaps an article related to some area of your business/industry) then please contact me atemail.png

Thanks for your support.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Have updated index page for services in Crown Point in Wiki. Restaurant entry requires admin privilages to update. Entry with link for Diya (closed) needs to be changed to Monkeys (existing)
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for updating the wiki Borgus. I have opened up the privileges for members to edit the restaurant section of the wiki. It had been more tightly controlled in the past. I also removed Diya from the wiki and posted Monkeys along with a link to the Monkeys review page.

Let me know if you have trouble editing pages in future or if you notice any strange stuff in the wiki. It's a bit scary having to monitor the wiki because of potential abuse but hopefully it'll be used properly.

Thanks again for your updates.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#4 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi, there used to be a wiki page for the book group listing everything we'd read or were about to read but it's disappeared - is there any way of retrieving it please?

#5 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Will VN Wiki be fixed at some point?

A database error has occurred. Did you forget to run maintenance/update.php after upgrading? See: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading#Run_the_update_script
Query: SELECT page_id,page_len,page_is_redirect,page_latest,page_content_model FROM `mw_page` WHERE page_namespace = '0' AND page_title = 'Welcome_to_Virtual_Norwood' LIMIT 1
Function: LinkCache::addLinkObj
Error: 1054 Unknown column 'page_content_model' in 'field list' (localhost)

European.vote - EU Referendum