8 replies to this topic

#1 ProHeating

ProHeating

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hello all,

This is something we have been looking into recently, but it seems a bit of a minefield. Has anyone had any success with SEO? Or can anyone recommend someone local who works within this field who may be able to advise / do some work for us? 

Thanks!

#2 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes, I heartily recommend Matt at www.mjb-london.com, a local (triangle-based) web-designer who can help with optimisation.

Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#3 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

SEO has changed a lot recently as Google changes it's algorithm. There is a forum called Acorn Domains where there are a lot of skilled people in this area.

Also searching for Matt Cutts (who is Google's spokesperson on SEO) will offer his videos which are very useful.

In a nutshell SEO comes down to the quality of content on your website (if it's unique and how often it grows) along with the number of strong links from other respected authoritative websites. So if you have a car business you want links that are from related websites (and some non related perhaps) that are surrounded by related text on the originating website.

There's a lot more too it than this but focus on content on your site and try to build links naturally at a steady pace. Paying for 500 links that are spammed overnight won't help. 

Someone sent me the image below which might be outdated but shows the elements of SEO.

Attached File  seo-table.png   331.05KB   14 downloads

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#4 ProHeating

ProHeating

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thank you both, very helpful. I get the feeling that SEO is not necessarily something you can throw money at and suddenly watch the work come rolling in, but more an ongoing process.

#5 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thank you both, very helpful. I get the feeling that SEO is not necessarily something you can throw money at and suddenly watch the work come rolling in, but more an ongoing process.

Definitely. If someone promises you results in 4 weeks then it's unlikely they can make the magic happen that quickly. But a lot of money is spent on SEO and so it can be paid for but takes time. 

I'd make sure the content is decent on your site, get social media accounts and do a little every few days. Also I'm looking for articles for VN - you could write an article about "unblocking a drain" before they call a plumber (sounds counter intuitive but it's (1) great marketing because it's helpful and with a link or two in the article, Google will rank you better when people search for local plumbers. The trick is always make your articles unique and have them on a few other sites.

Good luck!

#6 ProHeating

ProHeating

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

We would definitely be interested in doing an article along those lines, I will get something put together and send it across if that's ok?

#7 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

We would definitely be interested in doing an article along those lines, I will get something put together and send it across if that's ok?

Sure, no problem - just add lot's of great tips that offer the reader value and an interesting read and I think it's a win-win. If other websites link to your article on VN that can build our ranking and yours in search engines.

#8 Jaytag Computer

Jaytag Computer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Have a read here: http://www.ukbusines...isplay.php?f=83

We pay a local company to carry out SEO for us (and our customers). Costs around £150 a month and is useful as before we started the process we didn't rank at all for the common search terms (like computer support croydon or web design clapham) for example. Now we appear on the first page for these searches, and web traffic is up around 50% on the previous year.

Their site is here: http://www.vsdigitalmedia.com

#9 ProHeating

ProHeating

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Jay, we're in the process of getting a quote from the company that do our website at the moment, would you say with the increase of web traffic there has been noticeable increase in paid jobs to come through it?