Which pubs do you visit and why?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

....... For me staff make a place hence why I have 'defected' from my usual local on the triangle.

Dying to know which place that is now.... nosey parker that I am.

#17 Vnevah

Vnevah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Couldn't say on here. Might get me barred.

#18 Peter GLA

Peter GLA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone for taking part and also your comments here. The comments on interaction/gastropub seating are really interesting and it would be great to quote from this thread in the report. Please let me know if you have any objections to being quoted and I'll omit your comments.

Peter

#19 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

No objections from me.

#20 Vnevah

Vnevah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Or me.

#21 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Done, although I do feel you should have added the option to choose more than one pub as picking which one from a list of over a dozen you would go to for a drink is a bit difficult. The pubs/bars in the triangle can be grouped into certain categories/types. What pub you choose to go purely for a drink could depend on the day. There’s not a lot of difference in say choosing the Alma,White Hart or  Westow as they are all pretty similar or on occasions you may want to go to a more traditional or cheaper boozer which haven’t been gastrofied.

As a rewards for our all efforts, is there any chance you could you the vast resources at the GLA to find out who actually owns the Cambridge on the corner of Church Rd ;)

It has been empty for getting on for 2 years and is a right blight on the area and I, as are others are very surprised it has yet to be snapped up considering how well a lot of the local pubs in the area have done in this timeframe. Something just does not add up there.

#22 Vnevah

Vnevah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Theres not a lot of difference in say choosing the Alma,White Hart or  Westow as they are all pretty similar

Wouldn't put these three together as similar the chain pubs compared to an independent are very different in my opinion.

#23 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Not sure how you could say they are all different as they  all pretty much fit what I would term gentrified pubs all serving pricey but well regarded food, similar types of range of alcohol at similar prices, similar clientele and target market and all same ‘ quirky seating and décor’.

The Alma ( Owned by Enterprise Inn’s)

White Hart ( Mitchell & Butler)

Westow ( Part of the Antic Group)

Which one you are referring to as independent or how it is markedly different from the others?

#24 Vnevah

Vnevah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

The Alma ( Owned by Enterprise Inns)

Which one you are referring to as independent or how it is markedly different from the others?

I'm referring to the Alma. Not owned by enterprise although they are linked to them in the way they get their booze. And their food is head and shoulders above the other two!
Westow - Antic I'll grant you but we will see what happens now Antic is in administration.
And well the White Hart - managed by an alcoholic with no business sense and serving microwave food occasionally scattered with a fresh herb to make it look 'fresh'. It's a 'gastro pub' only in the fact it's a gastronomic pit.

#25 Jmarts

Jmarts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Too many glass front pubs.

I go to Westow perhaps twice a week with my partner but starting to wonder why, am served by the same people each time, but there is a real clique behind the bar. I was laughed at the other today for producing my CAMRA card! Perhaps rightly so, am only 30...

SAD FACE.

#26 TheAlmaCP

TheAlmaCP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

Not sure how you could say they are all different as they  all pretty much fit what I would term gentrified pubs all serving pricey but well regarded food, similar types of range of alcohol at similar prices, similar clientele and target market and all same ‘ quirky seating and décor’.

The Alma ( Owned by Enterprise Inn’s)

Must say I can't agree with much of what you’ve said. The Alma is totally independent. I owned & operated the pub. I’m not answerable to Enterprise inns or to anyone else other than the paying customer, EIPLC have no say in the running to the Alma. They own the freehold to 95 Church Road & I have to buy my beer through them (I decide what beer not them). I own the Alma and the business. That’s it end of. What you’re saying is a bit like every shop, pub, and restaurant that doesn’t own its freehold isn’t an independent. Which is obviously not correct. Everyone has their opinion but you have left me scratching my head. Yes we all serve booze, food and serve people from Crystal Palace but to say we are the same is over simplifying it and doesn’t allow for the marked differences in ownership, offering and customer.

#27 bjohns33

bjohns33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Couldn't agree more, and put a similar comment in my response. That said Pierre's seems to have tried and is constantly empty. Can't think of anywhere else that actively encourages it....

#28 Vnevah

Vnevah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Too many glass front pubs.

I go to Westow perhaps twice a week with my partner but starting to wonder why, am served by the same people each time, but there is a real clique behind the bar. I was laughed at the other today for producing my CAMRA card! Perhaps rightly so, am only 30...

SAD FACE.

You shouldn't be made to feel bad by the people serving you. I'd have said something to them!

#29 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Couldn't agree more, and put a similar comment in my response. That said Pierre's seems to have tried and is constantly empty. Can't think of anywhere else that actively encourages it....

It was rammed to the gills last Saturday - probably more popular at weekends.

#30 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Not done the survey yet so will do now. I was in Pierre's with SL last weekend and it was full. Every table was taken and there wer folk standing. The tapas was very good, the staff friendly and helpful and the wine pretty decent.
Mel, Forum Moderator