• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I had to-day to buy birthday presents for two grand-children, and went to the toy-shop half-way up the High St. While there, I mentioned to the owners, that it had been a branch of Hamleys in my stormy youth. They knew this, and said they had at one time come across the old sign int the back.  They then said that they had heard that it was the original Hamleys, and the big shop had come later.

I have googled a bit to see if there is any reference to this, but there is no reference to this old Beckenham branch at all. Therefore, I wonder whether the confidant statements about the first shop being set up 250 years ago by the old Cornishman Hamley, in Holborn, may not be quite accurate. But what the population of Beckenham was then, I cannot imagine. A shop would hardly have been warranted by the odd passing goat-herd on his way to Thayer's Farm!

Does anyone have memories, or any light to shed on this little conundrum?  :)

#2 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

That Parade of shops known as Cedars Parade was built in 1932. Previous to that the site was the home of the Village Squire and his house was called Village Place then The Cedars. I moved to Beckenham in the 60s and the toy shop was called Beckenham Toys but there was a name on the sign that could have been something like Hamleys. I remember the owner passed the business onto his son in the 70s. You may wish to contact Bromley Library Reference department. They will help.

Ian... www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk

#3 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

That Parade of shops known as Cedars Parade was built in 1932. Previous to that the site was the home of the Village Squire and his house was called Village Place then The Cedars. I moved to Beckenham in the 60s and the toy shop was called Beckenham Toys but there was a name on the sign that could have been something like Hamleys. I remember the owner passed the business onto his son in the 70s. You may wish to contact Bromley Library Reference department. They will help.

Ian... www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk

Thanks for the back-ground. That quite rules out the idea that it was first. But it definitely was a Hamleys when I was a child, in the Forties and Fifties. I may check in Kellys when the is is upon me.