• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sally brooks

sally brooks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I've not been on this site for a while, but i feel quite strongly about this issue.

The pound shop has now opened.  In my view this has the potential to have a serious effect on Sainsburys.  Whilst i am not necessarily a fan of big corporate businesses, it is a fact that Sainsburys existance, ,( with the free parking,) attracts other shoppers to the area and many of the existing small shops would not be there if Sainsburys was put out of business.  The area would become another cultural dessert.  At the moment we have excellent pubs, restaurants, a book shop, and other thriving local shops.

I for one will not be shopping in the pound shop (even if items are fractionally cheaper) and would urge others not to shop there either.  We have to take the wider view here and consider the impact on our local community.

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I assume the local community no longer has any pensioners struggling to make ends meet or jobless parents trying to feed their children. If it did, I'm sure they would make use of it.

I did check, but can't find anywhere that Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda, etc., have been forced to close because of the appearance of a Pound shop. Anyway, Sainsburys has no comparable competition within a large radius and perhaps this will spur them to offer more affordable ranges for those who would really benefit from it.

If I pop into Croydon, I usually go into Poundland and pick up Ambrosia custard/rice pudding. Better than paying £1.49 in Sainsburys/Tesco/Asda and covers the cost of parking.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Will pop in for some cultural dessert soon.

Edited by Borgus, 29 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Made my first visit today and it's your typical £ shop for cheap household goods etc. As usual it stocks some items stuff you won't find anywhere else on the triangle so I will be popping in from time to time, but I can't see that Sainsburys has much to worry about.

aka Pie

#4 mao

mao

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I feel strongly about Sainsburys shamelessly increasing the price of its products over the last few years. The price of Twinnings, for example, nearly doubled!. I used to shop in Sainsburys but now would not miss it if it closed.

I am not a Poundland regular but it looks like there was a gap in the market which they have now filled. I think it reflects the economic diversity of the area, in the same way Iceland or the Hollybush Sparrow Hawk do.

#5 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I seriously don't think Sainbury's,the multi-billion pound grocer with triangle all sewn up is going to go out of busy due to a measly pound shop.

In fact now Sainsbury's might not be able to fleece the locals with higher priced goods than some of their larger supermarkets elsewhere which are up against bigger competition. It will be interesting to see if they try and match the PoundMart prices on certain goods. 

#6 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I've not been on this site for a while, but i feel quite strongly about this issue.

The pound shop has now opened.  In my view this has the potential to have a serious effect on Sainsburys.  Whilst i am not necessarily a fan of big corporate businesses, it is a fact that Sainsburys existance, ,( with the free parking,) attracts other shoppers to the area and many of the existing small shops would not be there if Sainsburys was put out of business.  The area would become another cultural dessert.  At the moment we have excellent pubs, restaurants, a book shop, and other thriving local shops.

I for one will not be shopping in the pound shop (even if items are fractionally cheaper) and would urge others not to shop there either.  We have to take the wider view here and consider the impact on our local community.

As far as I can see the only impact on our local community will be that we now have a bit more choice and one less empty shop unit to worry about.  It's not the most attractive of exteriors but it's clean and tidy inside.  Won't do Sainsbury's any harm to be kept on its toes price-wise.  Also, from my quick trip to Poundmart yesterday, they and Poundstretcher appear to be the only stores selling stationery in the area.