47 replies to this topic

#16 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Talking of Penge - it was the subject of a big story in the News Shopper today (http://www.newsshopp...g_raids/?ref=eb)

I'm assuming it is not the Phones 4 U or whatever chain place but another place nearby

#17 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Welcome. There seems to be a bit of a trend for people moving to Penge. I've been here just over six months and love it. Best bits are really useful stores like Homebase, Wilcos, Sainsburys etc. The Beckenham Spa is awesome. Have been doing body attack/pump classes there every week. If you join for £30 one off payment then all classes are £5.60 and swims £3.10 I think. V cheap. There are other memberships available.

Other great things about the area is there is a Penge Festival every year. More soon! And a Penge in Bloom competition. There is also the Palace and Penge Womens' Institute (just celebrated our first anniversary) which meets in Anerley Town Hall on the first Tues of every mth. Next meeting 9 April 7.30pm because of Easter. Great bunch of women, wide variety of ages and backgrounds. Really fun! So far we've done wine and cheese evenings, jewellry making, making of Christmas wreaths...always open to suggestions too. Good way of finding out what's going on locally.

The bin problem is widely reported by many. The problem we have in Penge is that it isn't seen as a priority area as all our councillors are Labour and the council is Tory (opp problem to what I had in West Norwood!). I asked for a lid for my recycling bin (to stop the paper flying about) only to be told they don't give them out anymore! But then to be fair, they spend the second lowest per head on council tax in London.

For social stuff I end up getting the 227 up to the Palace cos it's so quick and convenient. Still have to check out Beckenham but I hear there's a good bar called 'Hazlenut Fleurs' and there's an Odeon cinema there too. Brilliant access to green space out that way with Beckenham Place Park etc. Can't wait for the Summer!! All in all (and I NEVER in a million years thought I would say this!!) but I actually enjoy living here more than West Norwood (and I was there for 13 years, in a lovely big house, so that is really saying something!).

#18 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Glad you've settled well, Lucy.  

Kelsey Park, near Beckenham, is lovely and last year when I went down there there was a clump of trees there with loads of nesting herons.  

#19 wal

wal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Just tried Jade Chinese takeaway last week on Green Lane and it's top drawer! Steamed dumplings on par with ping pong's and great chilli squid!

#20 alywin

alywin

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to Penge/Anerley, whatever the Royal Mail decides it is.  You might as well say Penge: I gave up trying to convince cab drivers it was Anerley years ago - as far as they're concerned, if it's SE20 it's Penge!  A generally nice place, despite recent events :(   And of course, from where you indicate you are, you've got Crystal Palace park and the dinosaurs on your doorstep.  Shame Anerley Road is a bit of a dump, though - glad to hear there are plans to improve it, although closing the library won't help.  At least you finally have a reasonably decent rail service from there: I commuted from around there for nearly 20 years, and for much of that time we had nothing more than a half-hourly service.  Although you might find it worthwhile to go in the opposite direction down to Norwood Junction and pick up trains there: i) you're only one stop off West Croydon, so more likely to get a seat on the Overground; ii) there are additional Southern trains which still don't stop at Anerley and Penge West; iii) there are more additional trains which are fast to New Cross Gate and London Bridge; iv) you can get up the Crystal Palace line that way too.

Oh, and Penge East is only about 15 minutes to Victoria, if that's any use to you.

#21 Cathybird

Cathybird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Every thing is brilliant
Lots of trees
X

#22 lemurtrees

lemurtrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

The Pizza place is good, its called Toscana.

#23 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

The curry house, Belash, is good too. And just found out Bromley council give you subsidised compost bins. Rock n roll! We've all had a great weekend celebrating one of Penge's most famous residents; Walter de la Mare. A recital in Holy Trinity and a nose round his old houses, including the owners letting us go in the one he lived in on Thornsett Rd. Watch this space for a possible Penge Poets' Society in the Autumn if anyone is interested pls message me.

#24 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

The curry house, Belash, is good too. And just found out Bromley council give you subsidised compost bins. Rock n roll! We've all had a great weekend celebrating one of Penge's most famous residents; Walter de la Mare. A recital in Holy Trinity and a nose round his old houses, including the owners letting us go in the one he lived in on Thornsett Rd. Watch this space for a possible Penge Poets' Society in the Autumn if anyone is interested pls message me.

I missed the Wa.lter de la Mare thing in the end, though I did meet Giles on a ..previous occasion. His poetry may seem dated now, but he was highly thought of by TS Eliot, and he was a friend of Rupert Brooke, who visited him here (cutting down from Anerley Station via my road, I like to think). My dad was a friend of Brooke's at Cambridge, and they used to go on these long walks to-gether, so I choose to think that where Brooke writes in 'The Soldier' (ie If I should die, think only this of me.....) ''and laughter learnt of friends'' , he is referring, in part, to my father.

As to Walter de la Mare, it only occurred to me recently that his many references to the Moon, and the stars (joke there) must actually have had a basis in fact. If one imagines a world which had not been polluted by light, and bears in mind that his houses overlook the Surrey Hills, I imagine that the stars and Moon would have been quite stunning.

I would be interested in a Penge Poetry thing.

Did anyone go to the Bridge House Theatre, to see the cabaret?

#25 Telly Tyke

Telly Tyke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Penge is ace. Been in a couple of weeks now and it's amazing. Loving it. Really like the Bridge House and Tang Tangs Chinese (tried drunk- great, tried sober, just as good!) have saved me!

I'm now addicted to buying crap I don't really need from Wilkos and burning things in my garden. Top times!

O

#26 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Stop burning things in your garden TT. I can smell the burning from my garden. You are correct though, Penge is ace.

#27 palacedan

palacedan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hello there,

If all goes to plan I will be moving down to Penge in a few weeks, after a life time in palace.

Is there a Forum like this for penge? A Virtual Penge?

Regards

palacedan

#28 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hello there,

If all goes to plan I will be moving down to Penge in a few weeks, after a life time in palace.

Is there a Forum like this for penge? A Virtual Penge?

Regards

palacedan

No, there's a lively Facebook page (In and around Penge) but it seems to be mainly frequented by broken keyboard using geriatrics who don't even live in the area anymore, It focuses on looking at old pictures of the High Street. This, the Sydenham forum and another CP one are the only non-misty eyed outlets for us Penge-ites. 

#29 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

No, there's a lively Facebook page (In and around Penge) but it seems to be mainly frequented by broken keyboard using geriatrics who don't even live in the area anymore, It focuses on looking at old pictures of the High Street. This, the Sydenham forum and another CP one are the only non-misty eyed outlets for us Penge-ites. 

I wouldn't attempt that Facebook page if I were you palacedan. It really is pretty depressing. As BJ points out they tend to focus on the 'good old days' of Penge (that don't even look like good old days) and like to slag off anything new! The posts about the new market on Maple Lane were the nail in the coffin for me. The organiser posted loads of great exciting things about the market only to be met with "it will never be the same" type comments. There's even one guy who likes to post daily penis jokes on there. Lovely. 

I find that this forum is great for covering things happening in Penge but do wonder if a separate Penge dedicated site / forum might be a good idea. I think there's plenty going on in the area to justify it but wouldn't have the internet skills to start something like that up!

Hope you manage to secure your Penge property and don't be put off by that Facebook page! It really is a great area with lots of diverse people to welcome you!

#30 palacedan

palacedan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ha Ha. Ok, cheers. Will give that page a miss then.

Didn't know about the market on Maple Road. What's it like? Looking forward to checking that out anyhow.

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan then.

P.s maybe someone, somewhere, who might have the time to administrate and/or can be bothered, could set up a dedicated Facebook page that isn't all about the old days? Like the one for Palace. Although I suppose if it was definitely needed it would have happened already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penge, anerley, crystal palace