Photo

Looking for desk space in or around the triangle?

Desk Space Crystal Palace Wi-Fi Gipsy Hill Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parque

Parque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi There,

I am currently looking for a local business in the Triangle who may have some Office space I can use (and of course pay for) from around the middle of June.

My situation is this:

I am IT consultant and currently split my time between working from home and being with clients onsite - the split is roughly 80/20 but can vary. My wife is due with our first baby toward the end of April and it will not be practical for me to work in our small two bed flat from June. We live just off Gipsy Hill so somewhere up on the Triangle would be ideal for me as it saves me having to find space in town and is close enough that I can nip back to the flat if my wife needs me.

My requirements are fairly simple, all I am after is a desk and chair in a relatively quiet enironment with a wi-fi connection I can have access to. My current job is non-technical so it would just be me, my laptop and a note pad which would all come with me at the end of the day.

I am aware that there is a company on Gum tree offering this type of facility for around £45 p/w but I thought I would check to see if any local business had any spare capacity and could use some additional cash with a more competetive 'offer'.

Please get in contact via this forum if you have any ideas or think you could help. Alternatively please feel free to contact me via my LinkedIn page which may also go some way in validating who I am.

uk.linkedin.com/pub/tim-murch/10/824/46/

Many thanks

Tim

#2 Parque

Parque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Just noticed that I accidentally put a question mark at the end of the title which makes it very misleading. If there is a mod around who could remove it to make it a statement rather than a question then that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#3 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

We had exactly the same problem last year (almost to the date - our baby was born at the end of April) and my husband rented an office space on Chapel Road in West Norwood, in the block opposite the local shop there. Very affordable, but when the baby was a few weeks old they told him they were renovating the entire building and he had to move out.

One year on, they may well have finished the renovation and there might be offices available there now, but they probably won't be as cheap as they were a year ago. Probably worth a try to see if they will do you a deal!

We investigated offices in the Triangle but these were all more expensive and in the end my husband commuted to a hot desk place in London Bridge until we managed to sell our house and move - now we have our home office again.

The hot desk places are also pretty affordable, even with commuting into town factored in, but of course you don't get privacy there, and we were having to pay to store all our office furniture, etc, at the Big Yellow which added to the monthly costs. Added to that, of course I preferred it when my husband was close at hand rather than in central London - it made such a difference in the baby's first few weeks, and we are all much happier now he is mostly working from home again.

Good luck with everything - it's a great area to be living with a small baby, as you'll discover - lots going on at the libraries, mums groups and dads groups too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Desk Space, Crystal Palace, Wi-Fi, Gipsy Hill, Working