#1 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi there

After spending the last 10 years moving between Camberwell, Vauxhall, Brighton and Clapham my partner and myself have decided to move to Penge. She lives just outside Bath and I'm living in a one-bed apartment in Clapham. She has a wonderful little 7-year-old lad and now we are expecting our own little one. It was time to get something bigger that we could live in together. I must say that I was slightly apprehensive when my partner suggested Penge as an area to consider (I'm not a snob by the way!!). I had my heart set on something in or around Clapham or East Dulwich but my bank balance didn't think the same. Anyway she eventually persuaded me to take a look at the area and my first impressions weren't that great. How wrong I was! After spending lots of time investigating the area and reading up on this brilliant forum my mind set was changed completely!

It seems that Penge is really "on the up" as estate agents like to say. But in this case it seems to be very true! Alexandra Nurseries is a lovely place for a cup of tea and a really good slice of cake. Both the Bluebell Cafe and Loafe Cafe look lovely (although we are yet to try them). I have heard rumours that the Weatherspoons pub is a bit of a gem (although I find that difficult to believe - its still a Weatherspoons after all!). We like the Bridge House Tavern at the top of the high street and they seem to have a regular farmers market. There is a sweet little Italian on Green Lane that we have tried and is very good for the price. The schools seem great and Cator Park seems a nice place to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. A new brewery 'Late Knight Brewery' has just started brewing in Penge and I think they might even be opening a bar? There even seems to be a new library opening sometime soon and a friend mentioned that some brilliant pizza is to be found on the high street. All this and I'm within a twenty minute walk to Crystal Palace (another area I was totally unaware was so great). Blimey!!

I know that someone posted a similar topic in the news section of this forum recently but wonder if anyone had any other news or views about the area? There are a few things that could improve the area (the high street seems to be suffering from a pound shop / McDonald’s / chicken wings takeaway vibe) and I wonder if new businesses will move in soon. There is a disused police station that seems to be crying out for some sort of investment (its a lovely building but I have no idea what it could be used for). Anyway, you guys probably know more than me!

Ever since we had our offer accepted on our house we have been contacted by friends who are either already moving into the area or are thinking about moving. It seems that Penge has a really positive buzz around it!

This is a great site, keep up the very good work and I'll be chuffed to be calling myself a neighbour very soon!

K

#2 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Good luck with the move. Just posted to a similar post to say I moved here just over six months ago from West Norwood (via Streatham, via Crystal Palace - nightmare landlords!) and so happy to have bought a tiny piece of Penge. From the sound of your post it is definitely getting more popular. I think the transport links are fab and not well known about. 10 mins into Brixton from Penge East and 5 to W Dulwich, heaps of buses to Peckham, E Dulwich, CP etc. Fab leisure centre, friendly neighbours. Love it all :)

#3 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Lucy! I was having a look at the transport links the other day I couldn't believe how good they were!! I work in Wandsworth and am still a little unsure as to the best route but I have a work mate who lives in Anerley who claims he can do it in about 30 minutes (think he goes Anerley - East Croydon to Clapham and then catches a bus) so it looks like my commute will be pretty painless! Glad you're enjoying your new Penge life and are free of those nightmare landlords!! :-)

#4 GillyMS

GillyMS

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi KrisDD and welcome!
Yes, the transport from here is great... I live on Anerley Road, right between Anerley and CP Stations.. and work in the City. (London Bridge is my Station)I usually leave from Anerley in the mornings, as the timing is better for me, but if there's a problem I can also go from CP. I have the choice on the way home, a difference of about 5 mins, and I either walk up the hill or down depending. There's always a fall-back route from LB to Clockhouse Stn on Beckenham road, and then the 358 door to door!
As for your particular journey, it depends on where you are in Penge , and which part of Wandsworth you want to go to. If you're leaving from Anerley Station, one stop down the line is Norwood Junction, where you can change for Wandsworth Common, total journey time just under 30 min. On the other hand, you can go from CP Station direct, in about 17 mins.

Edited by GillyMS, 22 March 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#5 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hey Gilly and thanks!

Yeah, it really does seem like the area is served brilliantly by trains and buses!! I'm moving to Green Lane (looks like I'm between Kent House and Penge East?) and I work near Wandsworth Town station so still trying to work it all out without consulting the TFL site that never seems to provide anything but silly routes! :wacko:

#6 GillyMS

GillyMS

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Still think CP is your best bet.. you can travel to Wandsworth Town with 1 change at Clapham Jct in about 33 - 39 min, depending on your leaving time. 358 bus from Pawlene Arms just opp. Green Lane will drop you outside CP Station in just a few mins.

#7 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Brilliant stuff!

#8 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi KrissDD, Yes welcome to Penge and the exclusive membership of the We Love Penge Society. (Just don't tell too many people.)  You will find other news concerning Penge if you check occasionally on our somwehat  basic Blog site.  We update as often as we can.  I am about to blog about the former police station.  High Street will improve as demand for a wider range of shops becomes apparant.  At present, some good destination shops as well as meeting general needs.  Do get in touch with us if we can help on any issues. Councillors and support team generally gather on the High Street, outside the Post Office on the first Saturday of every month between 10.45 and 12.15. 

Edited by Cllr John Getgood, 23 March 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#9 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hi John Thanks so much for your reply and the exclusive membership!! I'm going to head over there now and have a nose around. Me and my partner spent a very cold and snowy Saturday exploring Crystal Palace, Penge and Bekenham and love the area! I'm sure you're spot on about the high street and there are some good destination shops already there as you say. I'm absolutely sure that ill be in touch about things going forward. Are the meetings on the first Saturday of the month for local residents as well?

Oh! I just spotted your signature which clearly answers my question about the first Saturday of the month! I must learn to read things more carefully!!!

#10 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Hi Kris,

Great introduction... I wish you the best of luck with your move.

I always love a big change. Exciting time.

Matt

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#11 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Matt! I'm really enjoying this site and I'm going to try my best to contribute when we have moved in! It actually just gets better as we discovered the spa at Beckenham on Saturday. What a great place to take the little ones or just to go for a swim! I'm all ready for the big change. Bring it on! K

#12 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Kris -I have not been for a while, but I don't know why. A Spanish tapas place just as you have left Penge, on the way to Beckenham. I had cheese and quince there for the first time, a few years ago, and then, by chance, they turned up with family dinner in Biarritz, the following night!

http://www.squaremea....co.uk/r,110383

PS Some of us possess an ''I heart Penge'' T-shirt......

E

Edited by Abu Nuwas, 26 March 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#13 Telly Tyke

Telly Tyke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hello everyone! Also moving to area between the stations and can't wait. Few weeks off with all the solicitors stuff to go through but fingers crossed. Penge rocks....believe. O

#14 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hey TT

Good move! Solicitors are wonderful creatures what with their slow movement akin to an incredibly slow Sloth that's asleep. Good luck with the move though and I am in total agreement that Penge does indeed rock!

K

#15 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Penge Food Centre, Murray Bros butchers... Nuff said.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter