78 replies to this topic

#16 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Yeah the butchers looks great (I've yet to find the Penge Food Center, where and what is it?). And sorry E I totally missed your post! I'm well up for trying the tapas place!! I'd love an I heart Penge shirt!! K

#17 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Penge Food Centre is just round the corner from where you are moving to - opposite Sainsbury's. 

The I heart Penge t-shirt is great but my young nieces and nephews thought the Penge Town Sign t-shirt was pretty cool too.   Both available from the excellent Press Gang on the Crooked Billet triangle. 

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#18 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Welcome to the area, KDD.  I'm a Penge-ite too, living round the corner from you (I live near the currently shut Kent House Tavern).  Kent House station will defo be your nearest station, though with your journey, you may choose other routes.  If you do try to get to Wandsworth via Crystal Palace, don't forget you also have the option of the 227 bus to CP bus station, followed by a short walk down the Hill to CP bus station. The 227 is more frequent than the 358 so worth jumping on if there's a delay with the latter.

#19 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hey BJ

Do you know of any plans to do anything with the Kent House Tavern? Feels like the area could do with a really nice boozer? Thanks for the travel information. Again it sounds like there are loads of options for me getting to Wandsworth Town!

And thanks John! I may be buying myself one of those t-shirts very soon.

Kris

#20 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

John G probably knows more than I do as he's on the council but I know it was shut down due to a number of license violations.  It should be a really nice pub, its layout inside is old fashioned and interesting (three rooms supported by a central bar) but its one ale was always rubbish or off and apart from the odd wedding do/wake in the biggest room it was usually 'filled' with no more than a half dozen punters.  I'd love to have a brilliant boozer selling 2 or 3 decent ales on my doorstep but sadly that wasn't it and it would take somebody with ambition and patience to make it good.  I guess the worry now is that it just gets turned into flats.

#21 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Oh I know the pub I think. The last time I walked past a few months ago it seemed open. Could be a good investment for someone being so close to Alexandra nurseries!

#22 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Shame about the Kent House.  At one time it was a good local pub.  I can remember it being South London pub of the year sometime in the 1980s.   It has been badly managed over recent years and after many complaints from neighbours  substantiated by the Police and Licensing Officers, the council instigated a review of the licence.   (It is on our councillors blog.)   The owners, Brakespeare's, came saying that the Landlord would be leaving and a new Landlord was ready to take over.   The council ordered the pub to close for a couple of weeks while the transfer took place.   However, after having apparently agreed to the change, the previous Landlord refused to leaveI understand the brewery are now going through the legal process to get him evicted    Hopefully it will be sorted out soon.   I know there's not the demand for pubs that there once was but I have always thought this one could be a useful community hub.  

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#23 wal

wal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

Agreed, needs a good pub, but from reading articles from Late Knights, the brewer starting in Penge, pub owners around the UK seem intent on selling property to developers to convert into residential housing... Which I believe will happen to the Police station.. Penge also needs a deli, would save a trip to CP..

#24 Telly Tyke

Telly Tyke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Any news on if the Knights people are opeing to sell beer/deli rumour? That police station is a great building, would be an incredible restaurant/pub/something other than houses. O

Talking of pubs and restaurants I find it a bit strange there's no websites for Friends of Flavours or The Bridge House....

#25 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm not sure what the plans of Late Knights are but their website seems to indicate that there may be plans ahoy?! Their Feb blog states:

first things first... Beer!

We have an action packed 2013 lined up already

• we have some great musicians coming to brew with us
  • we are going to help a few passionate publicans create their dream beers 
  • we are going to the Edinburgh festival brewing a beer for a big show up there

Second thing..........? Bar ...  Deli ... ?

Friends of Flavours is great. Me and the family have been there a few times and whilst its never bustling busy its food is lovely and very reasonably priced! 

#26 wal

wal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Late Knights are doing a pop up pub opposite Gipsy Hill station which apparently opens this weekend?

#27 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Oh! Sounds good. Would of been even better if it was bang in the middle of Penge! ;)

#28 Telly Tyke

Telly Tyke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, heard LK was going to open to sell their wares and maybe have a space for deli etc....quite where I'm not sure, maybe I'm making it up. This thread is on fire!

#29 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Another decent pub in Penge would be great.  The Wetherspoons is magnificent for beer but, well, it's a 'spoons.  The Bridge House is overpriced and its beer is not that great and the rest are not good for beer (well, the Maple Tree's beer is fine but if you don't live in the Groves your face don't fit).

#30 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just thought I'd let this thread cool down a tad. It really was on fire! ;)

Where are you getting your information from Telly Tyke? A deli and a bar from Late Knights actually in Penge would be lovely.

I agree Bovine Juice, just one pub in Penge would be great. Kind of feels like someone is missing a trick here and if a pub was vacant (the Kent House is) then someone could have a little goldmine on their hands if they invested. I actually don't mind the Bridge House. The food is pretty good and the farmers market (I think its once monthly) is something I'm looking forward to attending. It could be overpriced though, I have only been a couple of times and working in Wandsworth has made me used to overpriced ale!! Agreed about the 'spoons. Me and my wife popped in there a few weeks back and whilst the ales on offer are fantastic it still maintains all the familiar hallmarks of a Weatherspoons. Didn't really feel like the place to pop in on a Sunday afternoon with the kids for a Sunday Lunch!

Does anyone know of any more developments in the Penge area? I think there used to be a regular farmers market on Maple Road but am unsure as to if this is still the case?