• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

One thing I'm wondering about - on a different forum some Pengeans?Pengeites? said one reason for the poor reputation Penge "enjoys" is that traditionally it's been a social dumping ground for Bromley council. Any truth to this? In my experience so far it's a relatively mixed area.

Cheers KrisDD - very much enjoying it so far.

Edited by Trux, 17 June 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#77 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

It is a mixed area.  Considerably more so than neighbouring Beckenham or other parts of Bromley. I've no problem with the background of the various people but I am aware that there are more and more small blocks of flats springing up in areas where there were previously warehouses, petrol stations, pubs, etc.  That means more people living in an already confined space with yet more cars.  Do we have extra public transport infrastructure to support all these extra people?  Are we getting more money spent on our street cleaning and refuse collection?  I'm not so sure.

#78 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Presumable the new links on the Overground are meant to take some more people off the roads at least, and the times I've been on it (admittedly not in rush times) it's not been that full. Trains are more rammed IME, dunno about the roads as I don't drive but I imagine it's pretty bad in rush hours.

But yeah, point taken about whether or not the council is coping with extra needs in the community. Then again, I lived 7 years in Lambeth and they don't come much worse than that *spit*.

Edited by Trux, 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#79 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

It is a mixed area.  Considerably more so than neighbouring Beckenham or other parts of Bromley. I've no problem with the background of the various people but I am aware that there are more and more small blocks of flats springing up in areas where there were previously warehouses, petrol stations, pubs, etc.  That means more people living in an already confined space with yet more cars.  Do we have extra public transport infrastructure to support all these extra people?  Are we getting more money spent on our street cleaning and refuse collection?  I'm not so sure.

Building over all kinds of leisure land, and increasing density, is pretty fatal -- how to build a slum in 3 easy steps. But it comes from Mr Prescott's decision to allow much greater density. Neg, neg neg.... ;)