Photo

Free compost from Croydon Council - Factory Lane

compost recycling free croydon council factory lane secret garden plants money saver

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Don't forget if you are a Croydon resident, you are entitled to three free bags of compost a day from the Factory Lane Recycling centre, which given our 1.9% hike in council tax, is an offer well worth taking up. 

It also means more money to spend to spend on plants and things at the Secret Garden which is looking splendid in the sunshine and well stocked  :)

I think it is Croydon's way of saying thank you to residents for recycling. It's good quality stuff. You need to take your own bags though. Builder's rubble sacks are pretty good and sometimes you can find some on site if you are lucky.

Factory Lane, West Croydon, CR0 3RL 
Monday to Saturday: 7.30am - 4.30pm
Sunday: 8.30am - 4pm

#2 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Think I'm going to have to find a good bag or two. Went to get some out of our own compost heap this weekend and it's rubbish (literally). Time to consult Grandad bunny again I think who is an expert composter.

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

What on earth have you been trying to compost Redbunny??? There is a free talk on composting at the Rosendale allotments ( 227 Rosendale Road ) on Saturday 13th April 2 - 3.30pm and one on Tuesday 16th April 7 - 8.30pm.

We are pretty rubbish at composting too - mainly because of my aversion to rats which seem to be on the rise in the area. Not helped by the appalling amount of rubbish littering the streets around Crystal Palace...........

#4 SparkyUK

SparkyUK

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Free compost?! That is the stuff of dreams. Do they check you are in fact resident at Factory Lane?

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Free compost?! That is the stuff of dreams. Do they check you are in fact resident at Factory Lane?

They never check whether you are a Croydon resident SparkyUK but they do like you to have brought in some recycling or green waste. Otherwise sort of defeats the object. And, whenever I have been there, people follow the rules - 3 bags only a day which can be as big as you can carry.  :) 

It's lovely stuff! I usually make a trip of it and go with someone else which makes it more sustainable.

#6 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I am having a clearout in preparation for a new kitchen, so I need to go to Factory Lane soon anyway.  It's a timely reminder - I'll be sure to take a couple of bags to bring back some compost.   :)  When I've been before they have never ever checked whether I'm resident, though I've sometimes taken along a croydon council tax bill just in case.  I suspect they only check, if at all, if it's a van visiting very regularly, not cars.

Edited by elleme, 25 April 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#7 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

How very annoying - I was down there only yesterday with two bags of green waste - wish I'd read this post first!
aka Pie

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Double annoyance Sylvester   :angry:  :angry: ( as close as i could find for annoyed look)

Croydon's Green waste collections start this week  :)

#9 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

There's currently an almost full container load of very good quality compost at Factory Lane if anyone is recycling over the bank holiday. You need to take your own bags. 

The Secret Garden Centre is looking good and well stocked too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compost, recycling, free, croydon council, factory lane, secret garden, plants, money saver