• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NorwoodPride

NorwoodPride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

My grandfather on my mother's side was called Kim, but we don't know his surname. He had an accent and my mother believes that he was from either Norway or Sweden and may have worked at St. Joseph's College in Crown Point, SE19. He was living here during the 1940s and 1950s, but he and my grandmother (Christine Rawlins, later Griffiths) finally stopped seeing one another as, by then, Kim had a wife and family of his own. My grandmother would take my mother (Carole Griffiths) to meet Kim in the little park near the college when she was a little girl, so my mother is aware that he was her real father but my grandmother would not provide her with a surname and sadly died a few years ago. We have contacted the college, but they don't have records going that far back, but if anyone else can point us in the right direction about tracking him down I would be really grateful.

#2 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Please provide approx ages any any other dates you have and I will try to help.

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

Does you mother not have any details on her Birth Certificate?

#4 NorwoodPride

NorwoodPride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for your reply, Joe. Unfortunately, my grandmother tried to conceal it from my mother and there is nothing useful on her birth certificate because she was given the name of my grandmother's new husband (Griffiths), who she met after her and Kim had split up. Here are some more details:

My mother, Carole Suzanne Griffiths, was born in Croydon in December 1948. She lived at Moore Road, Crown Point, SE19.

My grandmother, Christine (née Bull), married a man called Rawlins and he died in the war. So when she met Kim she was a widow called Christine Rawlins with two little boys. Kim was already married with his own family when they were seeing one another, so they were having an affair. My grandmother later married Leonard Griffiths, who brought my mother up at Moore Road, but my mother remembers being taken to see Kim when she was a little girl in the early-1950s.

Thanks for your help and please let me know if you need any further information.

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I am now treating this as a bit of a challange but I am really having no luck with this complicated story.

I am thawrted at first step for the following reason.

Surname   Given Name   Mother   District   Volume   Page     Births Dec 1948 Griffiths Carole L. Howard Surrey N.W. 5g 889

Is the only listed Carole Griffiths born in the last quarter of 1948 in the whole country. (BMD is now 100% listed for 1948)

Mother is shown as Howard not Bull as should be the case regardless of married name. Also not listed as Croydon.

I am sure this record is not her.

It could be that some of the information is so old that it has now become muddled confused or at the least inaccurate.

I can I think correct one detail Christine G. Bull married  William M. McComb-Rawlins late in 1941

I am writing this over a 2 hour period whilst researching - could you confirm your grandmother was from Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland;?

If this is the case I have some more information to send you privately.

#6 NorwoodPride

NorwoodPride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sorry, Joe, my mistake. My mother's name at birth was Carole Suzanne Rawlins. I discovered that it was changed later, when my grandmother married someone called Griffiths.

My grandmother was also born in South London. 

Thanks for all your help, it's kind of you.

(It says 'father unknown' on my mother's birth certificate)

#7 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hi
Can you either confirm the following information -or- confirm it as incorrect.

Christine G. Bull married  William M. McComb-Rawlins late in 1941 in Croydon. (Record found)

I need to know to establish a factual starting point.
If the above is correct Christine's first husband died at ANZIO in 1944.

Kind regards Joe

I can now confirm your mothers birth was indeed registered as Rawlins.

Name: Carol Rawlins Mother's Maiden Surname: Bull Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1948 Registration district: Croydon Inferred County: Surrey Volume Number: 5g Page Number: 218

#8 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I am unable to send you messages on this forum please send me a message with your email.

Was Christopher M. J Rawlins your mothers half brother ? (Born summer 1942)

Did your grandmother marry Leonard in Croydon in 1949. Leonards mother was nee Brown

and he was born in Holborn in 1925.

It is possible that your Grandmother was born in Wandsworh in the summer of 1922.

If this is correct her mother maiden name was Musgrove.

Edited by Joe, 13 May 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#9 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think I am now on the right track and am now resuming the hunt for Kim.

I will first await confirmation of the above details.

Michael P Rawlins was possibly your mothers other half brother. (Born late 1943)

#10 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Just in case it helps, I suppose you know that 'Kim' is actually 'Michael'? It was rather fashinable in the thirties, probably due to Kipling's book. of the same name --eg the spy Kim Phiby. Now there's a thought........

#11 NorwoodPride

NorwoodPride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Everything you've said above is correct, Joe. My e-mail address is arktoslondon@yahoo.co.uk