• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:12 PM

Does any one have any info reguarding a murder which was meant to have taken place in the late sixties involving a farther killing his daughter at the white house on the corner of Salters Hill oppisite Virgo Fidalis school (convent)

Edited by James, 11 December 2004 - 09:57 PM.

#2 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

I remember a story about a girl being murdered and her body body being found in the chimney breast! but that was in Tudor Road.

#3 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:45 AM

hello, dellboy,
yes I remember that murder of the young daughter being killed by her father very well, except back then the house was a council house. The young girl used to go into my uncles' shop where my dad used to work, and he got to know her very well, and it was an horrific murder, and the farther, with the help of he two brothers, until in the end one of the brothers went and told his Grandmother, who then called the police, plus you would not believe the stench that came from that house. The farther was finally sentence for the rest of his life, plus there was a bus stop right on the edge of the road between the two houses, and the house that they lived in was the one closest to Salter's hill. I remember it as if it only happened yesterday. In the late 50's and early60's there was also another crime in Church road a little girl was kidnapped from her front garden, and they eventually found her body in a house in one of the streets off westow hill. I remember that well because one of my father's closest friends was a policeman, and they had blocked off the actual street, and he was one off the policeman stand guard to make sure that nobody went down there.

#4 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

Dear sylvia, thank you vary much for info my mother in law moved into the house in the early 80's. and i live their now i fought she was having me on, she told me that lots of strange things happened in the house. but it all stopped after she had the house blessed by a priest thanks vary much for your reply

#5 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:11 AM

Dear, Dellboy,
That is okay, no your mother was not having you on, is it still a Council house now or did the council change it completely, as I know that my family home is no <snip> just opposite hermitage road. my Mother's Parents moved in just before the 2nd world war when it was brand new. The father of the girl the killed made her wait hand and foot on her and her brothers. I am surprised the Council didn't have what your mother in law do after it happened. There a lot of rumours as to why he did it, but is it still a council house now, or are you buying it, because you now say it is a white house where as my family home is a part of the Upper Norwood council estate, when I was living there just like your house was, as the upper norwood council Estate went all the way from your house to the end of Roman Rise, and also down roman rise, and all of gibbs avenue, Gibbs square, gibbs close, and Bloomhall road, but the Council cdecided to let the people that lived in them buy them from the Council, like my Brother who now lives in my family home with his second wife and two of his daughters, well his oldest sons, and daughter from his first marriage, and my sister's oldest son decided to buy it before my mother died, as she was living there with Reg my Stepfather, as my real father died in 1975, plus would you believe I was actually born in the family home in 1946 in december, and I still call it my family home even though i now live in australia, but england will always be my homeland, and I am still a brit through and through. My brother was living Malta just before my mother died of a heart attack in malta while visiting my brother, and I actually lived in <snip> most of my lf until I move out in 1975 just before my real father died. I hear though that the estate has changed since I left Australia in 1978.Oh by the way also part of the council estate went from your house all the way down Salter's hill to Bloomhall road. What is the Norwood park like now. Have they still got the swings section, plus the small wading pool, plus the very big tree just outside the swings section gate. my friends and myself spent all of our time there and up at Crystal palace, and the park, and up at streatham common as well in the late 50's and the 60's after school of course and always in the school holidays. Oh they were the good old days

Best Wishes,
sylvia

Moderator's Note
House Number removed due to complaint from current occupier

Edited by James, 19 June 2006 - 07:06 PM.

#6 nicniewart

nicniewart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

There was another murder during the late 50's/early sixties: a young girl was abducted of about 6 years old and her body found weeks later in St Aubyn's Road, in a derelict house. Don't remember much about the outcome whether they ever caught the murderer or not. During the manhunt, I remember being quite scared that there was somebody in our midst doing this type of thing to kids of my age.
Nic Niewart.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

Another story for the grim thread I sort of remember a small baby being left in a room with caged ferrets or something who escaped & caused the babies death early 70's Harold Rd I think.

Dazza

PS The policeman in charge of that murder of the girl (white house) was a PC Capstick I have been reliable informed
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:20 AM

the young girl of 6 years old was the one that was abducted from her front garden in chruch road, and her body was found in aderelict house in the basement, but the road the house in was in the last road that was off westow hill, between Westow Street and Church road, and the reason that I remember it so well is because one of my parents friend was a policeman, and he was guarding the actual street, where she was found. I think they did catch the kidnapper, because my parents friend, and his wife were very close friends, as they were to my Father's brother and his partner. I can not think of his name at present.

#9 Harry-beef

Harry-beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

I remember that very well, it was very scary i was scared i heard loads of screaming to sylvia is very smart and dazza yes she was right the was a nasty smell

Edited by James, 17 April 2006 - 05:55 PM.

#10 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:12 AM

Hello, Harry- Beef,
Thank you for your compliment for saying that I am smart, but it is just that I have a very good memory. I can even remember things that happened in the early 50's, and exactly where I was in 1953, and I was up at Westow hill in june celebrating the Queen's coronation with all of my family, just like every one else in England at that time, as there was parties every where. Where aout was you living back then was you and your family living in one of the council houses, that was part of the Upper Norwood council Estate.

#11 mummytambo

mummytambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

This murder was very true I lived in the same road Salters Hill,
I think it was no 2 it is the semi house where 1 house is on Central hill the
One where the murder was was the one on Salters Hill side where the entrance gate is in Salters Hill and the back Garden is to the side of the House I can remember the police digging up the garden looking for the mother as well as she went missing years before, I can still remember as if it was yesterday exactly what went on, I vaguely knew the girl and her brothers as the girl use to play in the swings in Norwood Park, Always thought her to be a bit strange but living in that family I can now understand why, I was also friends with one of the daughters who moved into the house after the murder, the rotten brothers chased their sister across the park when she tried to escape and took her back to the father to eventurly kill her, He poured petrol over her and burnt her in the bath, Her body was only found because neighbours started to complain about the stench