11 replies to this topic

#1 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some honest feedback about what its like to live in South Norwood. I have seen a house that i'm keen on a few streets from Selhurst park - should i avoid this - i have no idea what it's like on match days can anyone shed any light on this? I'm expecting the surrounding area to be mobbed on a match day, but is it rough? Noisy? I'm pregnant and don't want to move somewhere where this will become a problem.

Does anyone know what is like around Cobden road?

Is there a nice community in South Norwood? Are there cafe's and pubs? We are coming on Saturday to explore more so any advice would be so welcome.

Thank you!

#2 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi Sharnna, I live in SN, no too far from Cobden rd. Cobden rd is ok. Check out People for Portland Road http://www.peoplefor...androad.org.uk/ and their Facebook page. We have a great community feel down here and it's expanding. There's an Arts festival and community festival coming up next month. Check out Yeha Noha by the train station http://yehanohacafe.com/ I like gastro pubs and at the moment we don't have one. Hopefully we'll get one in due course. Crystal Palace football club are in the premiereship and will probably improve the stadium (possible building works) and hopefully the surrounding area. There are other posts about SN and Norwood junction in news and local issues.

#3 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Oh yes, check out the country park http://www.independe...od-8562620.html

#4 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thank you Darcy!

#5 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi Sharnna, So, after you recce, what do you think?

#6 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi,

Yes had a busy day Saturday with lots of viewings. The flat we like is quite near to the football ground - a a few streets over, the owner assured us it was no problem on match days other than yes parking can be an issue as it is not a permit area. She said there was not any trouble, or too much intrusion with all the people. I just can't help but think it may be a problem. I'm Liverpool supporter so i know what its like on match days around the ground at Anfield!

#7 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I go to see Palace quite a lot.  I don't know the road names too well around there but if the road you mentioned is on the route to either Selhurst or Norwood Junction from the ground you'll be far more affected than ones that aren't. 

Palace fans are generally well behaved so though the Premier League will indeed see more people crowding into the area than previously (they'll get more like 23000 compared to the normal 14000), I wouldn't expect too much trouble.  However if you're used to living near Anfield you'll know to expect parking problems, road and train station gridlock and a lot of noise and litter about one day per week.  That's normal for any club. 

#8 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I didn't live near Anfield  - i've just been there to watch games. I'll check the route from those stations, thanks again.

Any other advice/experience would be gratefully received!

Are the schools good around this area? It's not something i need to worry about for a few years but thought i'd ask.

#9 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Based on current knowledge and what parents told me: Primary School - Thomas Beckett (outstanding);Cypress and Heavers.

Secondary - Harris Academy Crystal Palace then Harris South Norwood.  Bear in mind schools can improve over time.  If you're on fb, I'd put your question on the PPR fb page too. 

#10 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thank you!

#11 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

If your child ends up being bright and able to pass selection tests there's also a fair few good secondary grammars to choose from in the 'burbs.  St Olaves and Newstead Woods in Orpington plus others in Croydon, Sutton and Carshalton. All a train ride away

#12 sharnna

sharnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Fingers crossed it will be! Thank you!