Photo

Planning on moving to the area - opinions please!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi everyone

After 15 years renting in the New Cross/Deptford area, me and the other half are planning to buy in the Crystal Palace/Norwood area. My husband grew up in near-by Croydon but I wanted to get some opinions on the area from people who live their now. 

We are looking for a two bedroom flat (or large roomed one bedroom flat) - with a preference for mid-century architecture blocks - at around the £200,000 mark. We are not really interested in new builds or converted houses - but if the right one came along then we could be swayed. My main issue is getting to work - I don't mind walking a mile or so to a station but my job (near Farringdon) means that reliable transport is a must (well, as reliable as the East London Line/Mainline rail can be). We do not have children and do not plan to, so schools are not an issue for us. Neither of us drive so some local shops would be great and it would also be nice to move somewhere that has a little community spirit going on - but again these are not deal breakers if the flat was awesome!

So, any ideas? On an investigative stroll through Crystal Palace we saw some great 1960's blocks on College Road but they seemed to be quite expensive so I wondered if they were just too close to Dulwich? We also saw some flats on Beulah Hill but they always seem to be smaller one-beds. I have no idea what the properties are like in Penge, Anerley, Gipsy Hill etc so if you have any recommendations then let me hear them!

Thanks for your help!

#2 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi Gemma, I was told yesterday, by an estate agent that an average two bed in CP is about £250k. Surrounding areas Anerley and Penge slightly cheaper. I can't speak for Penge or Anerley but can for South Norwood. You can definitely get one and two bed flats (even a house) for under £200k http://www.rightmove...897DC732F688209 The following area is really nice as it's by the lakes, not to far from CP and is close enough to Norwood junction. http://www.rightmove...9?premiumA=true From Norwood junction to London Bridge on fast train is 11 minutes. It has overground trains (orange line). Check out the news and local issues as there are discussions about Penge and South Norwood. D

#3 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your quick response! I'll definitely take a better look around Norwood - it does seem that you can get more for your money there and I'm not planning on buying to sell on, we want to find somewhere to settle. I did think that CP was going to be out of my price range - it has gotten really, really popular all of a sudden!

#4 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I don't live in South Norwood but my views for what they are worth:

Transport - Exceptional

Shopping and pubs - Pretty awful but Croydon's within easy reach, a major shopping area)

Another thing you need to bear in mind, it's round the corner from Crystal Palace FC which is either a good or bad thing depending on whether you want to live near a football ground on match day.  

#5 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

You definitely get more for your money. Auckland road and roads off there are quite nice (around South Norwood Lakes). The roads surrounding the stadium will be v busy. But elsewhere will be fine. Fyi - I live off Portland road in the Country Park vicinity. Check out the following just so that you can see what's going on in the area http://www.peoplefor...androad.org.uk/ D

#6 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks guys! We have a couple of days off work soon so are going to come down and have a good mooch around! 

Regarding being close to the football stadium  - I used to live on the road which Millwall supporters walked down to get to the Den so I know what it's like to hear the cheering on match day (and the solemn walk back to New Cross Gate station after they lost!). As long as the CP supporters are as well behaved(!) then it shouldn't be a problem.

#7 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys! We have a couple of days off work soon so are going to come down and have a good mooch around! 

Regarding being close to the football stadium  - I used to live on the road which Millwall supporters walked down to get to the Den so I know what it's like to hear the cheering on match day (and the solemn walk back to New Cross Gate station after they lost!). As long as the CP supporters are as well behaved(!) then it shouldn't be a problem.

They're certainly better behaved than Millwall but the crowds will be a lot bigger.  Millwall get about 9-10000, Palace will be getting about 23000 next season.

#8 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Definitely check out the Lakes area and Yeha Noha café:    http://yehanohacafe.com/.

You can check out the roads off Portland Road (lower/Woodside end and South Norwood Country Park), although I don’t think many properties have been converted to flats.

We don’t have any pubs like The Newcross House, YET. But there are plenty people expressing that want something like it

#9 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Well, after a few weekends trudging round the area, we finally decided on focusing our flat search on Anerley/Penge. We realised that we didn't really need to live in Crystal Palace - in fact, our main aim was to move out of zone 2 so we can live somewhere slightly more suburban. CP is a great place to visit and I'll look forward to it being in easy walking distance but for us being a bit further down the hill seems perfect. Also, Penge high street is pretty good in relation to a lot of south London - lots of shops and stuff going on - and the amount of travel options going into London pretty much sold it to us.

The only problem (for buyers) is that house prices have gone up about £15k since we started our search...

#10 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well, after a few weekends trudging round the area, we finally decided on focusing our flat search on Anerley/Penge. We realised that we didn't really need to live in Crystal Palace - in fact, our main aim was to move out of zone 2 so we can live somewhere slightly more suburban. CP is a great place to visit and I'll look forward to it being in easy walking distance but for us being a bit further down the hill seems perfect. Also, Penge high street is pretty good in relation to a lot of south London - lots of shops and stuff going on - and the amount of travel options going into London pretty much sold it to us.

The only problem (for buyers) is that house prices have gone up about £15k since we started our search...

Pretty much exactly the same reasoning as me and the OH applied - we ended up on the Penge/Anerly/Elmers End border, with excellent transport links into town as well as to East London, southwards and so on. Plus CP is just a 20 minute stagger home. I think, for better and for worse, that Penge will change a lot in the next 5 years as people start to leave zones 2 and 3 in search of somewhere a lot cheaper and still within easy commuting distance to town.

#11 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Penge / Anerley also a very short hop from Norwood Junction, which will supposedly be getting some through trains to Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Kings Cross etc. once the London Bridge Thameslink upgrades are completed in 2017 or thereabouts.

#12 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm moving to the Anerley end of Croydon Rd soon, looking forward to it. I didn't know about the cross-London trains, that would be a great development.

As people have said, I could afford much less in actual Crystal Palace and I'm really happy with the space I managed to get.

#13 JOJ

JOJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

My partner and I wanted to live in CP originally, but were priced out. We've ended up in Penge in November (2013) and very happy about it we are, too. CP is becoming a bit too fancy for me - a really nice place to shop, eat/drink etc but I'm glad I don't live there. 

I think Penge is nearest to the best parts of the park - the lake, dinosaurs etc, accessed from Thicket Road - and there is some interesting stuff happening in the area, like the thriving Alexandra Nurseries, the bi-monthly market on the high street, brewers the Late Knights and more. It has a community feel and people are friendly in my experience. Both our neighbours have lived here for 20 years! 

In terms of transport links, Penge has totally surpassed our expectations. Penge East has regular trains to Victoria, via Brixton (if you want to hop onto the tube), Penge West is on the East London line and I think there are five or six different busses that stop near us on Penge High Street and Parish Lane. 

Oh, and Sydenham Hill woods aren't far away - there's a Green Chain walk via the park, I think. Have yet to give that a try. 

#14 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

An update of sorts: The first flat we tried to buy in Anerley fell through after it was valued £20k under the asking price. The seller did not agree with the surveyor and we did not feel like we could ignore the reasons why the flat was undervalued. After months of chasing estate agents for viewings, being outbid by buy-to-let peeps and cash buyers paying over the odds, we finally found another flat in Anerley. We're still waiting for things to be finalised so I don't want to jinx it too much but we really want it to work out this time round! In the meantime, the original flat had its price reduced by £15k a couple of months down the line so I think we did the right thing there (although at the time it didn't feel that way!) 

So yeah, heart set on Anerley/Penge but my god buying a flat is a traumatic experience! There has been many a time we've considered jacking in the idea and going travelling round the world with deposit instead! 

#15 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Good luck, Gema.  Nice parts to live in Penge are either between Penge West and Penge East, in the roads off the High Street (one featured on Location Location Locaton a short while ago) or near the Alexandra Cottages, bordering Sydenham.  There will be other nice areas between Anerley and Penge West, near the park, too.