Photo

Planning on moving to the area - opinions please!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 JOJ

JOJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Good luck Gema. It was a long, tricky journey for us, too, and I'm glad it's over - it seriously absorbed almost all of our spare time and lots of our work time in 2013 from about March onwards. I feel for my friends, I was the most tedious property bore ever. I can totally sympathise.

We found the best properties were going before we had a chance to view them after a while so we started pouncing - literally viewing the same day a place came on or getting an open house viewing. We viewed on Saturday, viewed again on Monday and put an offer in that same day before midday. So, my advice would be that if you like somewhere go for it and quick. Get a good survey and you can always pull out if it doesn't look good. I can recommend someone if you want to get a full structural survey.

I absolutely love it, though. I'm so glad we put the time and effort in researching the streets, pestering estate agents and saving up as much as possible to get the best place we could. Even in winter, the park is beautiful.

#17 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Well, four months have passed and we were nearly there when the vendor turned round yesterday and said she wanted £25k more for the flat as another estate agent had told her that the flat was worth more than our accepted offer. The bank valuation disagrees with this - in fact they valued £2k less then what we agreed to pay. This is the 2nd flat that has fallen through because the seller wanted more money than their property was valued for. 

So that's it. We've given up. My hatred for fellow human beings is at an all time high and I am about to spend all the deposit on nice beer and quality records. It's about the only thing that will cheer me up at the minute.

Bye Bye Virtual Norwood. It's been nice (but too expensive)...

#18 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear that. I know someone who's trying to buy in South Croydon%2

#19 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Sorry to hear that Gema.  Think it will only get worse re flat/house prices in Penge since that Standard article. Good luck in the future. 

If you want to buy good cheap records (until my record shop opens) I recommend Rat Records in Camberwell.

#20 JOJ

JOJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

That's really bad news... Sorry to hear that but good luck with your search.

#21 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Well, after a day or two cursing and making voodoo dolls, we're back on the flat-hunting bandwagon currently seen rolling into South Norwood. The Anerley vendor went all out and instead of increasing by £25k, put the flat back on at £30k higher than the original price and we know that some major refurbishments this year will also set the buyer back a further £5.5k at least. And it's not even in the nicer bit of Anerley! 

So fingers crossed, the future could be Norwood-shaped! 

(I also stopped myself from buying a 7" record for £90 on the internet whilst wallowing in despair - probably for the best)

#22 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Well done Gema. Don't give up! Same thing happened to some friends but they have persisted and have now found something. 

We saved every penny when we decided to buy and it did make a difference, so hold off the vinyl for the moment  :) 

#23 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Glad you're back! Stick with it...

#24 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Stanley Halls will re open one day there is a very strong community group looking after it and the People for Portland Road ( I think Darcy is a member?) are really pushing for improvements as we have seen the shops in Anerly Hilll begin to improve because of good local support from people that care so we will eventually in South Norwood the train links are so good now and there is some really nice housing stock good luck with your search!!

#25 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well, after a day or two cursing and making voodoo dolls, we're back on the flat-hunting bandwagon currently seen rolling into South Norwood. The Anerley vendor went all out and instead of increasing by £25k, put the flat back on at £30k higher than the original price and we know that some major refurbishments this year will also set the buyer back a further £5.5k at least. And it's not even in the nicer bit of Anerley! 

So fingers crossed, the future could be Norwood-shaped! 

(I also stopped myself from buying a 7" record for £90 on the internet whilst wallowing in despair - probably for the best)

Never mind all this house rubbish, what was the record you nearly bought... ? ;)

#26 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

I would still consider Norwood Junction.  Transport links are a lot better than Crystal Palace - ten minutes into London Bridge and also Overground as well as Victoria.

You also get trains stopping through the night from Victoria every half an hour, which is fast train service calling at Clapham Junction and then Selhurst.  Selhurst is about a 15 minute walk from Norwood Junction station.

You can also get the X68 bus to central London from South Norwood Hill Monday to Friday during peak times that takes an hour.  Plus loads of other buses.

There is also the Tram into West Croydon, Elmers End and Beckenham from Arena and Harrington Road.  The Elmers End trains get you into Waterloo, Cannon Street, Charing Cross and London Bridge in 20 minutes and you always get a seat in the mornings.

Bad side is not so many restaurants and bars but the Albion and The Albert Tavern are ok to go in and very friendly.  The Albion actually does really good beer.  The local Wetherspoons isn't bad either.

There's a new cafe/bar by Norwood Junction Station called Yeha Noha, which wouldn't be out of place in Crystal Palace or Clapham.  Really nice in side, do great cakes and wonderful cocktails.

I would suggest buying up South Norwood Hill or Oliver Road as these area seems to be catching people that can no longer afford Crystal Palace.

Edited by sunray, 31 January 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#27 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Well, after the usual calling up of estate agents and finding that most things have gone already, we managed to get a viewing around Norwood Junction tomorrow. The place needs total renovation though which is a bit scary but we're up for a challenge. I'm not really into white bathrooms and oak kitchens so it'll save me ripping them out at a later date!

As for the record Mawders, I'm really into 60's girl groups and singers - anything garage/beat/psych - especially foreign groups. Had my eye on an Ellya Iringan record which I'll probably never see again ever if I don't buy it soon! Record collecting is a terrible disease....

#28 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Bad side is not so many restaurants and bars but the Albion and The Albert Tavern are ok to go in and very friendly.  The Albion actually does really good beer.  The local Wetherspoons isn't bad either.

Just wanted to add that we have a Thai restaurant, Mantanah at the top of Portland Road, which is great (check out the reviews on this site) and has a Timeout review.

#29 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

As for the record Mawders, I'm really into 60's girl groups and singers - anything garage/beat/psych - especially foreign groups. Had my eye on an Ellya Iringan record which I'll probably never see again ever if I don't buy it soon! Record collecting is a terrible disease....

Blimey we have very similar tastes gema. I have thousands of records but for the 60s stuff I tend to make do with CD comps mainly as the prices are too high. Plus I can often get 26 tracks on a CD for the price of 1 record. The Girl Group Sound, a 4CD box set that comes in a hat box is probably my one item I'd save in a fire.

#30 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Blimey we have very similar tastes gema. I have thousands of records but for the 60s stuff I tend to make do with CD comps mainly as the prices are too high. Plus I can often get 26 tracks on a CD for the price of 1 record. The Girl Group Sound, a 4CD box set that comes in a hat box is probably my one item I'd save in a fire.

I totally limit myself to 45's - and even then I'm pretty strict with myself. I only splash out if I've made money selling records or it's my birthday/Christmas/suffered major property-related trauma. That hat box is pretty awesome - great packaging too!

As for the serious issues of house hunting. I think we've been priced out of S.Norwood too. Saw too tiny flats yesterday (42sq m), the one that needed work cost £200k (it needed new windows, gas heating to be fitted, rewiring, new kitchen, new bathroom and garden clearance). The other was exactly the same for £215k but had been cheaply renovated by what I believe to be a three-year-old child. The damp was seeping through the freshly painted walls already. Always a nice touch to be told that you are being shown round on your own and when you get there 6 other people show up - two of which are property developers. 

Bah, think I am going to go and put a record on and enjoy the rest of the weekend.