• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Seems to be the trend along Westow Hill to whack on another floor what with the little cd warrior shop, the Westow Pub and Bar 25 all with approved plans for adding additional floors and the extra floors above KFH now revealed to the world now the scaffolding is down.

Not to feel left out there’s a new application for the site next door to Chi Oriental at 16 Westow Hill to copy what Chi Oriental are currently building the next time you glance up.

They also want to add an extension round the back and build out into Paddock gardens. Rather annoyingly the developers want all the profit for adding what will surely be pricey flats and are quite content to leave the old Thresher’s shop at the ground floor as a right mess. Surely the least they could do is put in a better shop front and kit out the shop to a decent standard so it has a chance of being let.

Rather worrying the little Gypsy Hill artists workshops on Paddocks Gardens will now be surround by recently built developments so how long before a developer tries to snap up this little gem for residential conversion?

Anyway is this an overdevelopment, welcome addition, get rich quick scheme, you decide and let Croydon know by adding some online comments on the below link if your that way inclined.

13/02109/P
16 Westow Hill, London, SE19 1RX and 7 Paddock Gardens

http://publicaccess....YD_DCAPR_136716

2nr3uyr.png

358dpub.png

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

On balance, I don't think I have a problem with the units being developed upwards. More people living in the heart of the triangle will probably mean more people milling around in the week and thus more money being spent in the shops/bars/restaurants Mon-Fri. However, as you suggest, I'd like to see more of a commitment to renting out the shop units (and at reasonable rates) as it's still pretty messy around the triangle.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Curious case this one.

Its the Chi Oriental Site AND the Threshers site ( which is also up for sale). So the people who are currently adding the extra floor to Chi wants to continue this next door but also extend out back of BOTH properties and onto the courtyard of the GH workshops.

Bit cheeky of them to include an application that doesn't cover the actual site they own, that is unless they have bought the Threshers building at 16 Westow Hill and half the courtyard of GH Workshops.

http://publicaccess....YD_DCAPR_136716

#4 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

This was recently won on appeal so now has planning permission.

Hopefully it means the long empty Threshers will be brought back into use as currently its being used as storage for materials for the development.

http://publicaccess....YD_DCAPR_137726

#5 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well there's a surprise another developer doing things on the cheap and whacking in tiny upvc windows which were not approved and not allowed in the conservation area.

Do any of the local authorizes actually do building control these days?

pPI5Mxj.jpg

Not quite what they submitted with their application.

rM6tNP7.png

Anyway its worth as many people as possible alerting Croydons enforcement to make the developer fix things rather than leave the area with another bit of sh*t architecture to look at the next couple of decades.

planningenforcement@croydon.gov.uk

Erection of first floor rear extension and roof extension and conversion of first and second flo...
16 Westow Hill, London, SE19 1RX
Ref. No: 14/01683/P | 

• mickeyboy likes this

#6 mickeyboy

mickeyboy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Well there's a surprise another developer doing things on the cheap and whacking in tiny upvc windows which were not approved and not allowed in the conservation area.

Do any of the local authorizes actually do building control these days?

pPI5Mxj.jpg

Not quite what they submitted with their application.

rM6tNP7.png

Anyway its worth as many people as possible alerting Croydons enforcement to make the developer fix things rather than leave the area with another bit of sh*t architecture to look at the next couple of decades.

planningenforcement@croydon.gov.uk

Erection of first floor rear extension and roof extension and conversion of first and second flo...
16 Westow Hill, London, SE19 1RX
Ref. No: 14/01683/P | 

Keep up the good work norwoody !

#7 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:29 PM

I noticed them at the weekend too - it sticks out like a sore thumb. I've sent a complaint and had a (automatic) response back...

#8 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

I noticed these are still there...any ideas as to how to escalate?!

#9 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

Paul.watson@croydon.gov.uk is dealing with the case.

Apparently as the developer didn't actually state what materials the windows were going to be and slack planners signed it off they can more or less put in what they want even though there are new conservation policies for the area they don't appear to carry weight whatsoever,

#10 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

God that's appalling, I shall write in

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#11 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

That is such a shame...they really are an eyesore. Thanks for the update 

#12 duncanm

duncanm

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Speaking of apartments on Westow Hill, the whole 'crib' idea for those apartments above Iceland (or where ever) was bad enough, but the 'crib' graffiti they've added to the side of the building is beyond tragic.

I can't for the life of me work out what the target market is, especially at the price they're going for. Kids who have a mummy or daddy with deep pockets? I'd be embarrassed to live there.