4 replies to this topic

#1 pregogirl

pregogirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi there

Is there anyone who has a child at Malcolm Primary School in Penge that would be willing to share their experiences with me? We are looking to move and my son is due to start school in September 2014, but were quite suprised at the latest Ofsted report of this school. I would love to hear directly from someone who has experience there.

Thanks so much

#2 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I never actually recommend schools or any other local "supplier".  However, you are quite right to be have been surprised at the most recent full Ofsted inspection.   This summer's results at Malcolm have shown that this is not a school that should be considered as requiring special measures.  Malcolm's results are fully in line with other local schools.   The Ofsted judgment did, though, open the way for the DfE to hand the school over to the Harris Federation who now control a number of local schools.   I, along with my colleagues, know the Headteacher at the school well and we have never had any doubt in her ability to lead this school and continue its improvement.  I believe that Harris have shown similar confidence in her abilities.   In fact, a recent monitoring visit by Ofsted, while the school was still under LEA control, commented very favourably on standards.  Do ask to see the very latest report.  

In the end, there is no substitution for using your own judgment.  It is a very welcoming school.  Please, make a visit and judge for yourself.  Far more relevant than many Ofsted reports.  

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#3 pregogirl

pregogirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Dear John,

Thank you for your quick reply - this certainly does explain a few things. You are completely right, visiting the school is crucial and I have to say just looking at the website I thought the school looked quick nice. I also know how quickly these things can change - school that are close to where I live are now outstanding and a few year ago they were rated inadequate!

Thanks again for your reply.

#4 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yes the tour of the schools has to be done - we went to a number  and off all the schools we went to  - one seemed to appeal to us the most.

#5 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

As the parent of two children who have been schooled locally and elsewhere when we lived in another city, I would say don't take too much notice of either Ofsted or reputations. Go and visit and see how you feel about a school - and bear in mind that, in the end, it really makes very little difference which primary school you choose as a well-motivated and supported child will do well at any school.