• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 happystar

happystar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Say a very big "NO" to Crown Point Lidl....
The traffic will gridlock crown point..
please sign a petition in all local shops and add comments to the newly created local assocoation for the area.
www.uppernorwoodresidents.org

#2 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Or, if you are looking forward to have a new store close by where you can get good quality products for low prices, you can find a petition to support this proposal below:

http://www.gopetitio...in-norwood.html

Also, why would this store cause a gridlock? How many cars do you expect to arrive there on average in an hour to cause a ‘gridlock’?

If anything, this store will be good for the area because larger stores like this act as a ‘magnet’ which brings more consumers to the area and revive it.

#3 happystar

happystar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

with approximatelty 4000 school children on the "doorstep" of the proposed site....how many children being injured in road accidents due to the increase in traffic will it take before lidl and its "supporters" realise its the wrong store in the wrong place?..

London is already uks highest for school children accidents wihin school locality...wake up please!.

#4 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

That would be as well as the increase in traffic around schools every morning at drop off and afternoons at pick up? The few accidents that I have been aware of in my locality have, more often than not, involved a parents vehicle. Whilst there is no evidence that I can find to actively link supermarket locations to accidents involving school children there is a need for more speed controls directly outside schools. They only seem to apply in schools in area's off the main roads. In Australia there are strict limits outside schools, including a camera, regardless of location. Saying that I don't see cars get up much speed outside schools at pick up or drop off due to the narrowing of surrounding roads caused by the volume of cars being used to transport children.
I don't feel the need for another supermarket in the area, more independents would be preferable, but I don't think using your current reasoning will be a persuasive argument.
Crown Point has always been betwixt and between, surrounded by bigger centres. For the sake of a 5 minute bus ride or a 15-20 minute walk in any direction in order to use one, I can't see how there is a need for a supermarket there.

Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#5 stasi1

stasi1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

with approximatelty 4000 school children on the "doorstep" of the proposed site....how many children being injured in road accidents due to the increase in traffic will it take before lidl and its "supporters" realise its the wrong store in the wrong place?..

London is already uks highest for school children accidents wihin school locality...wake up please!.

Maybe an alternative solution would be to ban school children being driven to school, it would certainly reduce traffic/pollution to a much greater extent than a small Lidl store would add to it. Those obese children presently unable to waddle up to a couple of miles to school (and I agree there are a few) might use the 'free' buses most of us pay for...you never know some may just shed a few kilos and improve their fitness and ultimately save the NHS a few millions now and in the future.

#6 ChristineT

ChristineT

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm with Stasi1 on this one!  ;)

#7 happystar

happystar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

The issue crown point / upper norwood residents and its immediate surrounding population is whether a lidl on its doorstep is good for the area or not.

The issue of obese children being a load to the nhs or parents dropping kids to school falls "slighty" out of the parameters for this PETITION AGAINST LIDL forum?.may we please stay on track.

#8 stasi1

stasi1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

The issue crown point / upper norwood residents and its immediate surrounding population is whether a lidl on its doorstep is good for the area or not.

The issue of obese children being a load to the nhs or parents dropping kids to school falls "slighty" out of the parameters for this PETITION AGAINST LIDL forum?.may we please stay on track.

My main point was about traffic reduction.  If you are seriously worried about road accident injuries to school children (and I assume the rest of us) then you may be better to campaign to reduce congestion/short journeys that's due to children being driven to school over the additional traffic created by a small Lidl store. Child obesity is due to many factors lack of exercise is just one.

Maybe you are just against a Lidl store opening in your neighbourhood - I'm not against one opening in mine, whether I choose to use it regularly I'll decide later.

#9 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

I think this store will be of benefit to the area, much of the vegetables and fruit they sell is considerably cheaper than the closest rival stores, and there is a real mix of housing and incomes in the surrounding area so it will be something to appeal to all.

#10 tekton23

tekton23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I always take my Waitrose bag to shop in Lidl and my Lidl bag to Waitrose.

#11 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Happystar

I don't think anyone has veered off track at all  - I think it is responses to the issue you raised of impact of the store on schoolchildren. 

So back on track - I assume you live close to Crown Point  - so where do you or other local residents you do your weekly food shop?

#12 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I always take my Waitrose bag to shop in Lidl and my Lidl bag to Waitrose.

I'm a bit more downmarket then ...... do the same with my Sainsbury's and Lidl bags, even been Known to venture into the Aldi in Penge with both....shock horror!!

#13 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Did anyone attend the open day staged by Lidl last week?

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#14 happystar

happystar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Maybe west norwood could welcome a lidl...or even crystal palace?..Crown point is already well serviced by a local lidl 0.9 miles away to be precise at the bottom of norbury hill. We also have the delightful Tesco express that local residents again petitioned against and again planning was granted.

In the uk if every organisation opens retail units wherever they purchase viable land for business..then local areas will be eroded by multi nationals on every possible spare plot.

SAVE CROWN POINT FROM A LIDL

http://uppernorwoodra.wordpress.com/

#15 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

happystar, are you the only member of the Upper Norwood Residents Association ? It looks like that.
Later I'll create my own upper norwood residents association, which will be 100% pro Lidl. I might even let other people join who would like to write pro-Lidl propaganda.